The Student Room Group

Real Estate Management BSc Or Building Surveying BSc - Property Development

Hello Everyone,

My goal is to work as a Chartered Surveyor whilst gaining the knowledge/funds to start my own Property Development Business.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on which Degree would be better suited to this goal?

I'm due to undertake a Building Surveying BSc Degree. Would a Real Estate Management BSc be the better option?

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
(Course leader for Real Estate at Birmingham City here - so my answer might be biased)

Have a look at the routes to full Chartered Surveyor status with the RICS (search for RICS APC and you see loads of different routes - which then have different things you're expecting to know and be able to do)

Strangely (to me at least) the RICS doesn't expect valuation for their building surveying pathway - if you're looking at property development you need to be able to value stuff to know if it's viable or not.

Generally I'd say Real Estate tends to be the most general option and gives you a wider exposure to other options as well that you might not have thought of - particularly commercial property.

A Property Development degree usually shares rather a lot with the RE degree - some of them are more focussed on planning than you might need so do look at the details of the modules being offered. (And consider that you've potentially got a 45 year career ahead of you - how focussed do you want to be?)

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending