The Student Room Group

Trainee Estate Agent

Hello,
I am 20 and looking to become an estate agent.
I was wondering if anyone had experience of being a trainee estate agent or someone who is currently that could tell me how they're finding it, if it's worth it. Any entry courses that are worth doing? Any agencies they know are hiring?
Just as much information as possible would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply 1
For residential estate agency your best bet is to go door knocking (with a CV in hand). There's essentially three types of estate agency office: single offices - the person in the office might be the owner, multiple offices - there's possible a partner or director in each office. For these two they will have more flexibility about hiring. Then there's national firms eg Countrywide/Bairstow Eves - these are more likely to have standard job application processes and you'll then find their adverts and a full application system on their websites. The smaller firms are much more likely to go for adhoc approaches.

Qualification wise there isn't much that is really needed - the larger firms would probably push you down the route of completing a L3 qual with NFOPP (find them on google)

Longer term you may want to be looking at going down more of a professional route - this would lead via a degree through to becoming a chartered surveyor with the RICS. Whilst there are some chartered surveyors in residential estate agency the vast bulk are more related to commercial property, development sites, building surveying, quantity surveying etc.

A BSc Real Estate degree is ideal for moving into commercial property - whether that be landlord/tenant, property development, or commercial agency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending