The Student Room Group

Procastination advice

How do you try not to procastinate.. Im supposed to be revising but doing other stuffs. This is just bothering me cuz im guilty and someimes havee a mental breakdown.One day ill be thinking and my heart would just start racing and breathing heavily but I can't rly tell any one cuz ye... its life and ppl don't expect that from me.

Yu know when you are doing well on your school subjects getting 7+ in GCSE mocks and people(parents and their friends,teachers, my friends) expecting you will do well on your exam and u feel you are letting them down by procrastinating... i feel like i will not meet their expectation and fail badly even though i might be smart. Does anyone feel this?

Any advice would help
Thanks x
Reply 1
Yeah I get that, and I feel the pressure massively too! A lot of the procrastination advice out there is sort of cliche, and you might turn your nose up at it a little, but my advice would be to try a bunch of different things to find what works for you. I'll write what works for me:
For starters, removing distractions. I remove my phone from the room, and don't really have any socials that I use on my laptop. Make sure you've got a nice place to work (clean, has everything you need to study) and make a list of what you need to do/what you're going to revise.
You can make a revision timetable, personally I find those more stressful if I don't follow them, but that's something to try.
From your list of tasks, pick 1 thing that you can achieve that day (do more if you have the time- better to do more than you expect than less). Break that task down as much as you can, if it's a subject, pick a topic to do first, if it's a studied text, focus on the characters or themes.
Then work out how you're going to approach it- is it learning the content stage, or doing a past paper stage? If it's science content, then watching a FreeScienceLesson video is a perfect thing to write down.
I find that this works for me because I love ticking the things off (all about seeing yourself be productive!) and so having a list of lots of little, easily achievable things is nice because then it's a case of 'I'll just do this little thing so I can tick off one more before I have a break' and not 'This is a massive task I may as well not start'.
Also, watching educational videos can be a great way to break the procrastination cycle, because it sort of combines procrastinating with actually doing something useful (and with the grades you're getting you will know a lot of the stuff already, so there'll be lots of times you know you already understand it and hopefully that'll inspire you to develop your knowledge further).
Finally, it is ok to procrastinate a little. We're all guilty of it, and try not to beat yourself up too much about it. Sometimes you have days where the brain is not braining, and that's fine, there's still enough time, and you can always do something simple like put the subtitles of the language you're learning onto a show you're watching if you don't want to be completely unproductive! Try different things, and find what works for you. This is working for me, but it may be completely useless for you! I hope it helps a little though, and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Haruspe
Yeah I get that, and I feel the pressure massively too! A lot of the procrastination advice out there is sort of cliche, and you might turn your nose up at it a little, but my advice would be to try a bunch of different things to find what works for you. I'll write what works for me:
For starters, removing distractions. I remove my phone from the room, and don't really have any socials that I use on my laptop. Make sure you've got a nice place to work (clean, has everything you need to study) and make a list of what you need to do/what you're going to revise.
You can make a revision timetable, personally I find those more stressful if I don't follow them, but that's something to try.
From your list of tasks, pick 1 thing that you can achieve that day (do more if you have the time- better to do more than you expect than less). Break that task down as much as you can, if it's a subject, pick a topic to do first, if it's a studied text, focus on the characters or themes.
Then work out how you're going to approach it- is it learning the content stage, or doing a past paper stage? If it's science content, then watching a FreeScienceLesson video is a perfect thing to write down.
I find that this works for me because I love ticking the things off (all about seeing yourself be productive!) and so having a list of lots of little, easily achievable things is nice because then it's a case of 'I'll just do this little thing so I can tick off one more before I have a break' and not 'This is a massive task I may as well not start'.
Also, watching educational videos can be a great way to break the procrastination cycle, because it sort of combines procrastinating with actually doing something useful (and with the grades you're getting you will know a lot of the stuff already, so there'll be lots of times you know you already understand it and hopefully that'll inspire you to develop your knowledge further).
Finally, it is ok to procrastinate a little. We're all guilty of it, and try not to beat yourself up too much about it. Sometimes you have days where the brain is not braining, and that's fine, there's still enough time, and you can always do something simple like put the subtitles of the language you're learning onto a show you're watching if you don't want to be completely unproductive! Try different things, and find what works for you. This is working for me, but it may be completely useless for you! I hope it helps a little though, and good luck :smile:

OMG!! Thank you :smile:
The thing is that is it a problem if I work more at night and sleep less for revision (I do more work at night and I'm usually fine in the morning) ? The thing is that most ppl say to have the normal average sleep but I feel like time goes quickly and I should probably make the most of it. Is it just possible that one day I'd just collapse cuz of less sleep and my brain is not functioning well. The thing is that im just scared.

Thanks for the advice! I tried taking it in and it's working well rn :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
OMG!! Thank you :smile:
The thing is that is it a problem if I work more at night and sleep less for revision (I do more work at night and I'm usually fine in the morning) ? The thing is that most ppl say to have the normal average sleep but I feel like time goes quickly and I should probably make the most of it. Is it just possible that one day I'd just collapse cuz of less sleep and my brain is not functioning well. The thing is that im just scared.

Thanks for the advice! I tried taking it in and it's working well rn :smile:

Glad I could help! :smile:
I think with the sleep thing- you need to listen to your body. Having a sleep routine is good, but especially right now when we're panicking about things it can be hard to follow.

Do make sure you're getting enough sleep though, and I've found personally I'm more productive if I sleep more overall during the week, then get up earlier at the weekends instead of lying in all day to make up for very late nights in the week. That way it's not an extreme 'always revising and then sleeping all day', it's more of a low-level 'consistent stream of working, consistent stream of sleep.' And I'm also someone who works better when it's later, but because I get up at 6:30 for school I have to go to bed earlier.
I doubt you'd collapse suddenly from exhaustion, as you'd have to be very bad to get to that stage. If it is that bad, then, again, listen to your body- that level of work is unsustainable. At this stage, we don't have to be revising 24/7. And even when we do, that would be really extreme, and if we revise effectively now then it won't be as bad later on. If it gets that bad later, then look at what it is you're doing to make it that way (it may be that you're prioritising quantity of revision over quality, and working a lot without getting stuff done- now is still a good time to look at effective revision strategies and practise what works for you. As well as my above message, maybe check out some YouTube videos on effective revision? That's very important for making sure you don't burn out).

A big part of how you feel will also come from other things too, like drinking lots of water, and staying away from caffeine. I'd say it's better to support your body in as much of a natural way as you can, without trying to enhance it, as that will make it harder for you to learn your limits, like learning when you need to go to sleep, and you're more likely to burn out that way.

So yeah, basically listen to your body, and even if you do feel fine in the mornings still evaluate how much sleep you're getting, cos if it's hardly anything and it's every day, then you should probably try to rest a bit more.

Ik it's difficult to get enough sleep (like the recommended amount) and I really struggle with it too. It's something I'm really trying to work on.
I'm still figuring it out too, so what I'm saying is just my personal experience, but hopefully we'll both be able to find the right balance!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest