The Student Room Group

Mature Student applying for masters

So this is the year I have decided on what path my masters degree shall take, I do wish it had taken me less time than 6 years (somehow) since I graduated from ym undergrade but life has its ways of not working as we desire.

I'm very excited but also nervous, felt a sense of imposter syndrome when I went to an open day earlier this month, but the tutor of the course I'am interested in made me motivated and determined. Plus put me at ease about my potential sutiability for the course.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Original post by Schnauzerquester
So this is the year I have decided on what path my masters degree shall take, I do wish it had taken me less time than 6 years (somehow) since I graduated from ym undergrade but life has its ways of not working as we desire.

I'm very excited but also nervous, felt a sense of imposter syndrome when I went to an open day earlier this month, but the tutor of the course I'am interested in made me motivated and determined. Plus put me at ease about my potential sutiability for the course.

Hello @Schnauzerquester
Sounds like you are just about to start quite an exciting journey :smile: You may find more people that can give advice on this topic in this forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185
I hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else!
Original post by PileaP
Hello @Schnauzerquester
Sounds like you are just about to start quite an exciting journey :smile: You may find more people that can give advice on this topic in this forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185
I hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else!

Hey! Thanks for the tip!

While your asking, I'm wondering if there's any advice in regards to personal statements for postgraduate degrees? I can only find a review service for undergraduate as well.
Hey! Thanks for the tip!

While your asking, I'm wondering if there's any advice in regards to personal statements for postgraduate degrees? I can only find a review service for undergraduate as well.

Hey, I work in postgrad admissions and read more statements than I have hot dinners :smile:

Have you got any specific Q’s or are you just after general advice?
Original post by Admit-One
Hey, I work in postgrad admissions and read more statements than I have hot dinners :smile:

Have you got any specific Q’s or are you just after general advice?

Oh well thats perfect! Well apart from the hot dinners, more in your future I hope. (:

Well firstly I have a draft but I would really like feedback on my personal statement before I keep working on it/ send it off . Just wondering where I could post for that sort of thing?

Also, It's been six years since I went to University, when I went to the open day for the prostgraduate course I want to do, I was told I would need an academic reference, so its been a long time and wondering where/how to get contact details for my former tutor, who I would get to get that reference from.
Oh well thats perfect! Well apart from the hot dinners, more in your future I hope. (:

Well firstly I have a draft but I would really like feedback on my personal statement before I keep working on it/ send it off . Just wondering where I could post for that sort of thing?

Also, It's been six years since I went to University, when I went to the open day for the prostgraduate course I want to do, I was told I would need an academic reference, so its been a long time and wondering where/how to get contact details for my former tutor, who I would get to get that reference from.

I'll check the best way for me to take a look at your draft and will get back to you. I'm not actually a member of the official PS review team here, (it would be a bit of a busman's holiday for me :smile: ).

Re: Your ref, TBH that's a bit odd as 5+yrs is generally the point over which an academic ref won't be as relevant any more. For postgrad it's at the unis discretion what they want, and by that point will often be flexible in accepting a professional ref instead.

You might want to double check their requirements via email, (just in case the person at the open day was blagging it, or misheard the bit about 6yrs). If it's confirmed, I would reach out to your old academic department as a starting point.
I'll check the best way for me to take a look at your draft and will get back to you. I'm not actually a member of the official PS review team here, (it would be a bit of a busman's holiday for me :smile: ).

Re: Your ref, TBH that's a bit odd as 5+yrs is generally the point over which an academic ref won't be as relevant any more. For postgrad it's at the unis discretion what they want, and by that point will often be flexible in accepting a professional ref instead.

You might want to double check their requirements via email, (just in case the person at the open day was blagging it, or misheard the bit about 6yrs). If it's confirmed, I would reach out to your old academic department as a starting point.

Thank you! I'll send you the draft (its very early stages and I feel is missing something) once I've finished a few other tasks I have to do today.

I think they only said that they wanted an academic reference, as to be fair I didn't mention how long ago I was doing my undergraduate. Possible that it was miss communication. I currently have been out of work since summer of 2021, due to being a carer for my mum. I currently volunteer at a charity shop, but now that my mum is better and able to be independent again, I really want to do this masters in order to go down the career paths it would allow me to do. So I guess I need to ask the admissions team if a reference from my manager at the charity shop would be OK or if they would still also like one from my former Uni.

Just seen that you don't accept Private messages. So shall I just copy and paste my draft here for you?
Just seen that you don't accept Private messages. So shall I just copy and paste my draft here for you?

No.

Don't paste any part of it publicly. It'll just invite plagiarism.

Let me check whether there's an easy way for me to receive it and I'll post back here.

I am 53 years old, can I take admission in your undergraduate program

Hi,
There are many people that decide to do varying degree levels at any age. As far as I know, most universities also have connections and facilities to help mature students find their place within university. In my personal experience, the ages in my course are very varied and it doesn’t factor into everyone getting on on the course.
You’re absolutely suitable!
Best of luck,
Meg 😊
MA Popular Music Student.

Quick Reply

Latest