The Student Room Group

Coming back for a degree after years...

So, I am a mature student. I am wanting to give back and get a masters degree. Unfortunately, I have a gap of about 12 years in my education, even though I have been working for almost 9 years in the related field...
Sadly, the universities I opted for don't seem to be keen to have me...
Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by SRodrigues
So, I am a mature student. I am wanting to give back and get a masters degree. Unfortunately, I have a gap of about 12 years in my education, even though I have been working for almost 9 years in the related field...
Sadly, the universities I opted for don't seem to be keen to have me...
Any advice?

Obviously it depends on what you want to study and what uni, but there is something called apl/apel that I used when applying for my course (since I'm also a mature student and haven't been at uni for many years).

"What is APL and APEL?

Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) is the formal recognition of prior learning that is not recognised within the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ). Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) is the formal recognition of prior learning achieved through experience, such as professional or voluntary work, and/or self-directed study. However, it is not the experience itself that is assessed for formal recognition; it is the learning gained from that experience that will be assessed against our standard entry requirements or the learning outcomes of the course you are applying to study."

Maybe google it and see if you can find any universities with the course you want who use this system? :smile:
Reply 2
Many thanks..
I'll look into it...
Also if the concern is due to the gap since your prior study (and no reservations about that study itself), you could look at doing some kind of short course or a module with the OU or something at that level to prove your ability for formal academic study at present. That said often relevant work experience is considered.

What area/sector are you currently working in, and what do you want to study for your masters degree? What was your original undergraduate degree in as well?
Reply 4
I work in a laboratory and want to undertake masters in Biomedical Science...
However, this would be my second masters, my first being in Forensic science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending