The Student Room Group

OU Masters entry requirements

Has anyone experience of applying to the Open University with a Third in their undergraduate degree? Interested in the MA Creative Writing but entry requirements stipulate a 2:1.
Original post by Bridgeworth
Has anyone experience of applying to the Open University with a Third in their undergraduate degree? Interested in the MA Creative Writing but entry requirements stipulate a 2:1.

Can you offer any creative writing, publications etc as an alternative? Many places will accept what is effectively professional experience in lieu of grades especially if you are an older student (just ticking 'mature' at 21 wouldn't count).
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Can you offer any creative writing, publications etc as an alternative? Many places will accept what is effectively professional experience in lieu of grades especially if you are an older student (just ticking 'mature' at 21 wouldn't count).

Yes I’ve had a few things published. I did my undergraduate degree 24 years ago, so definitely a mature student 😀.
Original post by Bridgeworth
Yes I’ve had a few things published. I did my undergraduate degree 24 years ago, so definitely a mature student 😀.

Then don't play on the 3rd, it was a different era (no offence, it's much younger than my undergrad!). Focus on presenting your 'portfolio' of work and apply on the basis of practical experience/evidence rather than academics. The OU will be fine with that approach.

You might also look at the MSt in Creative Writing at Cambridge - they are very good at looking at real word experience in the absence of grades - though the course structure may not suit your circs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending