The Student Room Group

Studies terminated....

My studies were terminated last year due to failing to meet the minimum required attendance (caused by personal issues), I was asked to have a meeting with one of the tutors to discuss the reasons for my attendance issues, but I had buried my head in the sand the moment I was informed of this. I did not sit the exams nor did I appeal the decision. I know this is a stain on my résumé. Can I apply to other universities, continue to pursue a higher education, or am I finished?
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this is the case. I will have a look into this for you and see if I can find out any information that may help!

Kind regards,
Katie F
University of Wolverhampton
Reply 2
You can apply elsewhere, you just need to declare the prior study and that you didn't finish the course. Funding would be the main barrier, depending on what year you were in etc.
Hi,

Don’t worry, you can still apply to start your degree studies again at another University, you apply through UCAS again in the normal way. It may be best to be up front and say that you have already studied but, as a result of personal issues, things did not work out that time. You do not need to go into detail as to the reasons why you were unable to engage with your studies. However, it is important to make sure that you are now in a position to attend and pass the course and that any issues have been resolved. You can apply for student finance for an additional year of studies so, as long as you only attended for one year, then you will still have funding remaining to start a new degree.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Kind regards,
Katie F (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Original post by WolvesRep1
It may be best to be up front and say that you have already studied but, as a result of personal issues, things did not work out that time.

Just to clarify, it's not 'best' to declare the previous study, that part is mandatory. (Source, "If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.")

With regards to why they exited the previous course, it's usually best addressed by the ref, rather than the applicant trying to tie it into their suitability or motivation for the new one in their PS. But basically if any of the new choices want an explanation, they'll ask for one.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Just to clarify, it's not 'best' to declare the previous study, that part is mandatory. (Source, "If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.")

With regards to why they exited the previous course, it's usually best addressed by the ref, rather than the applicant trying to tie it into their suitability or motivation for the new one in their PS. But basically if any of the new choices want an explanation, they'll ask for one.

Came here to say this. I can't believe some of the twaddle I read by these reps.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending