The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Math Challenge 2024 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annonymous613
K thanks, in that case I got silver, 68... 😭

That's good tbh, I got silver last year aswell. Somehow I got a gold and into pink kangaroo this year, probably scrapped it in tbh. I also did a bit of past papers aswell to get used to it.
Reply 41
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
That's good tbh, I got silver last year aswell. Somehow I got a gold and into pink kangaroo this year, probably scrapped it in tbh. I also did a bit of past papers aswell to get used to it.

wait you got your results?
Original post by Sumikko
wait you got your results?

Yeah they're out, my teacher gave them yesterday.
Reply 43
Yeah they're out, my teacher gave them yesterday.

Ohh guess I have to wait till next week to get my results 🥲
Reply 44
what did you people with results back get? also roughly how common is each grade and getting into each further challenge?
Original post by Sumikko
Ohh guess I have to wait till next week to get my results 🥲

yep you should get them soon!
Original post by qaztcx
what did you people with results back get? also roughly how common is each grade and getting into each further challenge?

Our teacher just told ours, we'll get our certificates later I assume. Grade boundaries can be found here: https://mathsaurus.com/intermediate-maths-challenge-grade-boundaries/
Reply 47
Our teacher just told ours, we'll get our certificates later I assume. Grade boundaries can be found here: https://mathsaurus.com/intermediate-maths-challenge-grade-boundaries/

ok thanks
still waiting for my score sadly but not a lot i can do
Original post by qaztcx
ok thanks
still waiting for my score sadly but not a lot i can do

no problem! yeah there isn't much, unless you remember your answers or the questions you were confident you got right on, you can possibly calculate a rough score from your memory and see if you were able to smash a boundary.
Reply 49
no problem! yeah there isn't much, unless you remember your answers or the questions you were confident you got right on, you can possibly calculate a rough score from your memory and see if you were able to smash a boundary.

yeah, i did this just now
thanks for the idea :smile:

https://ukmt.org.uk/intermediate-challenges/intermediate-mathematical-challenge-awards

Use the official website please :smile:
How do I prepare for the Hamilton Olympiad? Would I need to know inequalities i.e. Cauchy-Schwarz, AM-GM? Also, if one gets full marks in the Hamilton Olympiad using advanced techniques e.g.Vieta Jumping, would they have a chance of getting into the International Math Olympiad Easter Camp (British Team)? Also if so, how would one revise for that?
Reply 52
Original post by π/2=Σk!/(2k+1)!!
How do I prepare for the Hamilton Olympiad? Would I need to know inequalities i.e. Cauchy-Schwarz, AM-GM? Also, if one gets full marks in the Hamilton Olympiad using advanced techniques e.g.Vieta Jumping, would they have a chance of getting into the International Math Olympiad Easter Camp (British Team)? Also if so, how would one revise for that?

You may be overthinking it a bit. Its less about learning new stuff and more about making sure you understand the "basics". AM-GM for instance might appear on bmo1 but would be expected for bmo2 ... but saying that the actual result is fairly basic and the usual proofs of it are fairly simple (square, semicircle, binomial, pythagoras, ...) and more useful for (more advanced) olympiad questions. For instance, the 2023 hamilton paper
Q1 - is a fairly basic quotient/remainder/factors (mod arithmetic) question
Q2 - a bit of algebra and then factors (diophantine) and quadratic
Q3 - a "simple" inequality ...
Q4 - similar, thales ....

The olympiads are more about how you set up the problem in the first place, and think about how you can work out a solution, rather than expecting you to use advanced methods. I doubt the markers would comment on your method (and you may not use the more advanced stuff correctly), so Id honestly just practice on the hamilton (and maybe the maclaurin if youre getting full marks) to get a good score.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by qaztcx
yeah, i did this just now
thanks for the idea :smile:

no problem!

I don't see a problem with using mathsauras, only reason I've used it cause he uploads all the past grade boundaries for comparison and somehow when I checked the additional round boundaries, it was only on his page for a while.
I don't see a problem with using mathsauras, only reason I've used it cause he uploads all the past grade boundaries for comparison and somehow when I checked the additional round boundaries, it was only on his page for a while.

As far as I am aware they are breaking copyright by posting papers. I am checking with UKMT whether they have permission. Dr Frost certainly does.
But if one got full marks in the Hamilton Olympiad could they get into the Easter Training Camp?
Reply 57
But if one got full marks in the Hamilton Olympiad could they get into the Easter Training Camp?

Are you talking about the bmo-imo selection camp or the intermediate summer schools?
Original post by mqb2766
Are you talking about the bmo-imo selection camp or the intermediate summer schools?

BMO-IMO Selection (Easter BMO Training Camp)
Reply 59
BMO-IMO Selection (Easter BMO Training Camp)

Id imagine that would be totally based on the bmo2 score.

Quick Reply

Latest