The Student Room Group

UKMT senior maths challenge

I'm thinking about doing the senior UKMT maths challenge in October. I've done the junior one before (not sure what the score was, but pretty sure it's bad cause my school kind of sprung it on me on the day so I didn't do any sort of preparation).

I'd like to be more prepared for it this time and I might enter independently or through school not sure. Has anyone completed the senior UKMT before and achieved silver or gold? If so do you have any preparation tips for me? Thanks,
Reply 1
You cant enter independently and have to enter through your school. But if youve not really done the challenges before, try downloading and dong a couple of past smc or even imc (intermediate, so y9-11, as the topics are similar but the questions a bit easier) and see how you get on. Its easier to offer advice if youve a better idea of what problems youre having.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You cant enter independently and have to enter through your school. But if youve not really done the challenges before, try downloading and dong a couple of past smc or even imc (intermediate, so y9-11, as the topics are similar but the questions a bit easier) and see how you get on. Its easier to offer advice if youve a better idea of what problems youre having.

Will do thanks 👍, as I said I’ve done the junior one so I have a general idea of the format and everything. I wasn’t aware you had to enter through school though, so thanks for that I’ll make sure to let them know :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by steph.niji
Will do thanks 👍, as I said I’ve done the junior one so I have a general idea of the format and everything. I wasn’t aware you had to enter through school though, so thanks for that I’ll make sure to let them know :smile:

As you say youve done the junior one before. The basic advice is simply to practice on some past papers which you can download from the ukmt archive. Id combine a bit of timed/closed book practice (so you get some idea of what you can get done in the 90 min) with then trying to answer any remaining questions open book, so spend some time thinking how you can attack the problem. Then mark / look at the solutions and in the extended solutions, there are supplementary questions which are useful for practice if you couldnt do it/got it wrong. A bit of problem solving, so thinking about how you can simplify or transform a problem or consider extreme values or work back from the answers or ... can be very useful.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest