The Student Room Group

Am I too dumb to go to Oxbridge?

Doing my IGCSEs right now. I did my Maths IGCSEs early and got full marks on both papers. I've qualified for and obtained Merit in the most recent OUCC as well as gold in a few UKMT challenges at both Intermediate and Senior levels. Got the highest scores in my year for most of my mocks too.

But aside from those, I honestly don't have much else to show. I was on a completely different path for the first ten years of my life. The first school I went to after that was really biased towards a certain group of students, which prevented me from being able to partake in competitions etc for about four years.

There's not many opportunities for me where I live right now either, no summer schools or camps or anything. And I'm not good enough at those UKMT challenges to get into the Olympiads either. I've done DoE Bronze, but I doubt it's worth putting on my personal statement applying to a computer science major.

You can see why I might want to go to Oxbridge even if I'm being incredibly delusional. I try to do some super-curricular stuff (bots, ciphers, working on a game), but I don't think it'd be sufficient.

Do I still have a shot? What options could I consider, realistically speaking?
Thanks.

TL;DR: good grades, not a genius, limited experience, can I / how do I get into Oxbridge?
I certainly wouldn't worry about whether you're a genius or not! I won't get too bogged down discussing that (intelligence comes in many forms, etc., etc.), because what really matters is the Oxbridge entry requirements can generally be met through hard work.
(Not that things like natural disposition towards your chosen subject or a background that gives you a head start don't help...!)

Everything is better on your statement than nothing, and DoE bronze isn't to be sniffed at: don't select yourself out before the admissions team have had a chance to.
If you're confident about your grades but not your extracurriculars, consider a gap year doing something really worthwhile like tutoring with Yipiyap (where I work) or carrying out any other role where you can demonstrate maturity, motivation, and doing something really beneficial to the world. You can also use that extra year to go for DoE Silver/Bronze outside of school, or work on other worthwhile goals.

If you're concerned about your predicted grades harming your odds, but think your actual grades will suffice, you could take a gap year and apply for the following year using your achieved grades.

It all depends how much you're willing to dedicate to this dream. Personally, I always think it's worth aiming high and going for what you really want. But if you are considering a gap year to apply to Oxbridge, make sure you'll be happy with the year you've spent whether you get in or not.
Original post by doriannnnn
Doing my IGCSEs right now. I did my Maths IGCSEs early and got full marks on both papers. I've qualified for and obtained Merit in the most recent OUCC as well as gold in a few UKMT challenges at both Intermediate and Senior levels. Got the highest scores in my year for most of my mocks too.

But aside from those, I honestly don't have much else to show. I was on a completely different path for the first ten years of my life. The first school I went to after that was really biased towards a certain group of students, which prevented me from being able to partake in competitions etc for about four years.

There's not many opportunities for me where I live right now either, no summer schools or camps or anything. And I'm not good enough at those UKMT challenges to get into the Olympiads either. I've done DoE Bronze, but I doubt it's worth putting on my personal statement applying to a computer science major.

You can see why I might want to go to Oxbridge even if I'm being incredibly delusional. I try to do some super-curricular stuff (bots, ciphers, working on a game), but I don't think it'd be sufficient.

Thanks.

TL;DR: good grades, not a genius, limited experience, can I / how do I get into Oxbridge?

You would need to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and achieve 3A stars and 1A or ideally 4A stars. Because Computer Science at Oxford has 20 applicants per place and at Cambridge 25 applicants per place and Imperial has 25 applicants per place but you should definitely get accepted into UCL, Durham, KCL, Warwick, Bristol, York, Manchester, QMUL, Leeds and Birmingham.

So I would recommend you apply with your achieved grades after a gap year. 🙂
Reply 3

Thanks.

You might as well apply
Original post by thegeek888
You would need to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and achieve 3A stars and 1A or ideally 4A stars. Because Computer Science at Oxford has 20 applicants per place and at Cambridge 25 applicants per place and Imperial has 25 applicants per place but you should definitely get accepted into UCL, Durham, KCL, Warwick, Bristol, York, Manchester, QMUL, Leeds and Birmingham.

So I would recommend you apply with your achieved grades after a gap year. 🙂
If OP wants to study CS, surely they should take CS A-Level instead of Chemistry?
Reply 5
Original post by EnigmaChess
If OP wants to study CS, surely they should take CS A-Level instead of Chemistry?
No CS a-level really isn’t necessary. I did the same subject choice and I was fine when applying to unis.

Thanks.

Yes. You are good enough.

Thanks.

Honestly, I was in a somewhat similar situation to you - and I have an offer from Cambridge for a Masters!

I got very good grades throughout school but didn't participate in many external competitions, sports, clubs, etc. . . I did get a Bronze DofE award as well, but other than this didn't receive any external awards or qualifications. I'm not entirely sure whether I would have gotten into Cambridge for an undergraduate degree, because at the time I was very uncertain as to what I wanted my career path to be like.

My situation is obviously slightly different because I've since branched out a bit to join various clubs at uni, and I have extra academic work (summer internships) to strengthen my CV / application.

If you demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in what you want to study, and you can explain what experience you do have and how you think that makes you a good candidate to study at Oxbridge, then yes, I think you have a chance. You'll never know unless you try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending