The Student Room Group

If you could would you leave England?

Poll

If you could leave England, would you?

Poll attached and discuss! Obviously this is for people located in England.
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

So where would you go, voters? Me personally I'd love to live in France.
Reply 2
I did once, then came back. I don't see us going anywhere permanently for at least 15 years, and even then it'd depend on care commitments with the family.
Yeah I would but I don’t trust the accessibility of other countries, probably the main thing that’s keeping me here.
Reply 4
It is something I’m strongly considering and I work in an industry where is easily done.

The self-inflicted economic stagnation caused by Conservative voters and Brexiters means Britain isn’t a place for young and aspirational people.
Reply 5
Original post by Gazpacho.
It is something I’m strongly considering and I work in an industry where is easily done.

The self-inflicted economic stagnation caused by Conservative voters and Brexiters means Britain isn’t a place for young and aspirational people.

"Britain isn’t a place for young and aspirational people."

I would suggest that so called aspirational people going elsewhere are looking for an easy ride. Surely being aspirational is working to better yourself in spite of the economic picture rather than because of it. Any good entrepreneur will tell you that even in these times, there are opportunities to be successful. They trick is to figure out what they are.
England & Rwanda should be the only options.
Reply 7
Original post by hotpud

I would suggest that so called aspirational people going elsewhere are looking for an easy ride. Surely being aspirational is working to better yourself in spite of the economic picture rather than because of it. Any good entrepreneur will tell you that even in these times, there are opportunities to be successful. They trick is to figure out what they are.

The economic picture where I grew up is call centres and warehouse work. I aspired to more than that.
The economic picture where I grew up is call centres and warehouse work. I aspired to more than that.

If you stuck in for a few 5 years you could be call centre TEAM LEADER. A bit more money, buy a cheap polyester tie and decide where the team goes for Christmas drinks?

You going to claim your too good for THAT?
Reply 9

Of course. But you don't have to stay where you grew up. There is more to the UK than where you grew up. It amazes me that we see people making the most dangerous journeys around the world in search of prosperity and yet in the UK if it isn't on our doorstep, the country is broken. Opportunity abounds in the UK - why do you think people come here? So go seek it!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
Of course. But you don't have to stay where you grew up. There is more to the UK than where you grew up. It amazes me that we see people making the most dangerous journeys around the world in search of prosperity and yet in the UK if it isn't on our doorstep, the country is broken. Opportunity abounds in the UK - why do you think people come here? So go seek it!

I've done the whole internal migrate to a city for a graduate job thing and now find myself getting hammered with an effective marginal taxation rate of 59% in return for garbage public services and scruffy streets. Visit cities like Zurich or Melbourne and you'll quickly understand why plenty of aspirational young British people seek to migrate elsewhere.

I'm curious as to why you regard British people looking to move abroad for a better standard of living as looking for an easy ride yet praise migrants who move here. It is a contradictory position.
Original post by StriderHort
If you stuck in for a few 5 years you could be call centre TEAM LEADER. A bit more money, buy a cheap polyester tie and decide where the team goes for Christmas drinks?

You going to claim your too good for THAT?

For an extra 50p an hour. Now you know you've made it.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah I would but I don’t trust the accessibility of other countries, probably the main thing that’s keeping me here.

I’d move to France or Spain personally
Reply 13
I've done the whole internal migrate to a city for a graduate job thing and now find myself getting hammered with an effective marginal taxation rate of 59% in return for garbage public services and scruffy streets. Visit cities like Zurich or Melbourne and you'll quickly understand why plenty of aspirational young British people seek to migrate elsewhere.

I'm curious as to why you regard British people looking to move abroad for a better standard of living as looking for an easy ride yet praise migrants who move here. It is a contradictory position.

So you earn more than £100k a year. Good for you. And you are looking for some sort of sympathy at the ordeals you are having to go through? I am sure Switzerland will be very grateful to have you.
Original post by hotpud
So you earn more than £100k a year. Good for you. And you are looking for some sort of sympathy at the ordeals you are having to go through? I am sure Switzerland will be very grateful to have you.

Firstly, get that envious little chip off your shoulder. The British tendency to pull people down who do well is part of our anti-aspirational culture.

Secondly, no I don’t earn that much. Higher rate tax starts at 37k combined with national insurance and student loan leaves me with an effective marginal of 59%.
Reply 15
Firstly, get that envious little chip off your shoulder. The British tendency to pull people down who do well is part of our anti-aspirational culture.

Secondly, no I don’t earn that much. Higher rate tax starts at 37k combined with national insurance and student loan leaves me with an effective marginal of 59%.

I think your calculations are a bit mixed up. If you earn £40k your take home is £30,631 so that would be a tax of around 25% all in.

At £60k you take home £41,663.40 so that would be a tax rate of around 33%.

And yes - I do need to get the chip off my shoulder. Where as being paid over £100k does see a marginal rate of 60% because you lose your pension allowance or some other technicality, your take home is still £64k on £110k of earnings which is a rate of 42% in total.

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

And you are incorrect. It isn't about pulling people down. It is just the incessant moaning about how bad things are. Another British trait. It is so dull. No one is going to make it better and no one really cares.
Original post by hotpud
I think your calculations are a bit mixed up. If you earn £40k your take home is £30,631 so that would be a tax of around 25% all in.

At £60k you take home £41,663.40 so that would be a tax rate of around 33%.

And yes - I do need to get the chip off my shoulder. Where as being paid over £100k does see a marginal rate of 60% because you lose your pension allowance or some other technicality, your take home is still £64k on £110k of earnings which is a rate of 42% in total.

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

And you are incorrect. It isn't about pulling people down. It is just the incessant moaning about how bad things are. Another British trait. It is so dull. No one is going to make it better and no one really cares.

You've muddled up tax burden and marginal rate. Marginal rate is a specific phrase that refers to the tax rate on each additional unit of income.

This is why we need to teach basic financial literacy at school.
Reply 17
I could and i did several years ago and haven't really looked back since. I left more due to 'new beginings' and all that as opposed to any express dissatisfaction with the UK (and it was easy to emigrate). Can't say i overly like the look of how things have turned out in the years since though, a confused country unsure of its place in the world with an alarmingly high crime rate (or so it seems from any news i care to read, you simply dont get acid attacks and mass stabbings here).
Original post by Napp
I could and i did several years ago and haven't really looked back since. I left more due to 'new beginings' and all that as opposed to any express dissatisfaction with the UK (and it was easy to emigrate). Can't say i overly like the look of how things have turned out in the years since though, a confused country unsure of its place in the world with an alarmingly high crime rate (or so it seems from any news i care to read, you simply dont get acid attacks and mass stabbings here).

Where are you?
Reply 19
Original post by hotpud

Suffering isn't a virtue. If, all things being equal, you can go somewhere and do what you want to easier than you could in the UK, then what's the issue? Not everybody is an entrepreneur. A lot of us are normal people who just want a bit more out of a relatively normal life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending