The Student Room Group

If you could would you leave England?

Scroll to see replies

No, I'd be very unwilling to leave England for anything beyond the short term.
I'd only consider it as a last resort and restricted to other parts of Britain, Northern Ireland or a few UK Overseas Territories.
Reply 21
Original post by londonmyst
No, I'd be very unwilling to leave England for anything beyond the short term.
I'd only consider it as a last resort and restricted to other parts of Britain, Northern Ireland or a few UK Overseas Territories.

I do hear Pitcairn is lovely this time of year :wink:
Original post by hotpud
"Britain isn’t a place for young and aspirational people."

I would suggest that so called aspirational people going elsewhere are looking for an easy ride. Surely being aspirational is working to better yourself in spite of the economic picture rather than because of it. Any good entrepreneur will tell you that even in these times, there are opportunities to be successful. They trick is to figure out what they are.

Many of Britain's average earning workers under 39 with relocation ambitions are seeking tax free job roles with free accomodation in other continents that have much warmer weather than Britain does.
Or high basic pay levels and the types of perks that are only offered by some parts of the usa, the middle east & asia.
Whether these types of expectations are realistic or not is another matter.
Original post by Napp
I do hear Pitcairn is lovely this time of year :wink:

Pitcairn honey is always lovely.
Much better quality than the wretched stamford street co honey from sainsburys and the dreadful blended non-eu & eu honeys that dominate most of the high street.
I don't see myself ever leaving England - at least, not permanently. Not unless something drastically changes.

I don't think it's "the best" country in any particular way, but it's still a "pretty good" country to live in by basically every metric. It's a relatively rich country, it has very good career opportunities for me and educational opportunities for my kids, the political climate is relatively stable, people are largely free to live their lives as they please, it has relatively low crime, it has a pretty moderate climate and few natural disasters, it has a rich and influential heritage and culture, it's relatively small and easy to travel around, it's geographical location and passport power makes it easy to travel to other countries, it has a diverse population, some very picturesque places to visit, it has free healthcare... I could go on.

Plus there are more personal reasons too. I have a very large family and strong network of friends based in England, and moving abroad would somewhat detach me from that. Also I think my kids will benefit from the fact that I'm not an "immigrant parent" i.e. I have full experience of this country and understand the system and culture and can share that with them, as opposed to trying to raise them to live in a world that isn't really theirs.

I may be able to earn more money in another country, or buy a bigger house in another, or get warmer weather in another etc. but I don't think any other country would give me anything that's worth sacrificing all of the above for.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't see myself ever leaving England - at least, not permanently. Not unless something drastically changes.

I don't think it's "the best" country in any particular way, but it's still a "pretty good" country to live in by basically every metric. It's a relatively rich country, it has very good career opportunities for me and educational opportunities for my kids, the political climate is relatively stable, people are largely free to live their lives as they please, it has relatively low crime, it has a pretty moderate climate and few natural disasters, it has a rich and influential heritage and culture, it's relatively small and easy to travel around, it's geographical location and passport power makes it easy to travel to other countries, it has a diverse population, some very picturesque places to visit, it has free healthcare... I could go on.

Plus there are more personal reasons too. I have a very large family and strong network of friends based in England, and moving abroad would somewhat detach me from that. Also I think my kids will benefit from the fact that I'm not an "immigrant parent" i.e. I have full experience of this country and understand the system and culture and can share that with them, as opposed to trying to raise them to live in a world that isn't really theirs.

I may be able to earn more money in another country, or buy a bigger house in another, or get warmer weather in another etc. but I don't think any other country would give me anything that's worth sacrificing all of the above for.

I have a very large family and strong network of friends based in England, and moving abroad would somewhat detach me from that.

I don't have this.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I have a very large family and strong network of friends based in England, and moving abroad would somewhat detach me from that.

I don't have this.

Same but everyone is different.
I am pretty sure the majority would if they had the money etc to move elsewhere. No way in hell would I recommend starting a family in this shithole.
Reply 28
Original post by random_matt
I am pretty sure the majority would if they had the money etc to move elsewhere. No way in hell would I recommend starting a family in this shithole.

I'd disagree and the UK is far from a "shithole" - sure it has pockets of deprivation & problems, but they're similar to those experienced by almost all comparable developed & wealthy countries (I am struggling to think of counter-examples?)

What countries do you think UK residents would typically want to move to?
Original post by AMac86
I'd disagree and the UK is far from a "shithole" - sure it has pockets of deprivation & problems, but they're similar to those experienced by almost all comparable developed & wealthy countries (I am struggling to think of counter-examples?)

What countries do you think UK residents would typically want to move to?

The inequality, overall and regional is striking, it stands out in Europe. A wealthy life in the south is very different from struggling up north.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 30
The inequality, overall and regional is striking, it stands out in Europe. A wealthy life in the south is very different from struggling up north.

Many other European countries have "North/South" Divides (although that's over-simplified, there's wealth in the north and also those struggling in the south) between generally wealthier and poorer regions (particularly stark in Italy, Germany and Belgium for example).

A check of gini coefficients against our large European neighbors puts the UK fairly in the middle, close but slightly more unequal than France and Germany, and less unequal than Spain and Italy. Different, but not a massive outlier. The Nordics are much more equal of course, but they don't show up as popular destinations for UK emigration - the most popular destinations for emigration are more unequal that the UK.

What countries do you think UK residents would want to move to that offers a noticeably better life than the UK?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by AMac86
Many other European countries have "North/South" Divides (although that's over-simplified, there's wealth in the north and also those struggling in the south) between generally wealthier and poorer regions (particularly stark in Italy, Germany and Belgium for example).

A check of gini coefficients against our large European neighbors puts the UK fairly in the middle, close but slightly more unequal than France and Germany, and less unequal than Spain and Italy. Different, but not a massive outlier. The Nordics are much more equal of course, but they don't show up as popular destinations for UK emigration - the most popular destinations for emigration are more unequal that the UK.

What countries do you think UK residents would want to move to that offers a noticeably better life than the UK?

Oh ok, last I heard we were the most unequal in Europe. It could have changed.
Reply 32
It can be tricky to find the absolute latest data but certainly as of 2020 the UK was in the middle third (slightly to the more unequal side) of European countries, far from the most unequal.

Income equality is a pretty small factor in emigration decisions though - the most income equal countries in Europe are Slovakia, Slovenia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland and the Netherlands and with the possible exception of the Netherlands none of these countries really feature at all in UK citizen emigration.

What countries do you think UK residents want to move to that offer a noticeably better life than the UK?
Original post by AMac86
It can be tricky to find the absolute latest data but certainly as of 2020 the UK was in the middle third (slightly to the more unequal side) of European countries, far from the most unequal.

Income equality is a pretty small factor in emigration decisions though - the most income equal countries in Europe are Slovakia, Slovenia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland and the Netherlands and with the possible exception of the Netherlands none of these countries really feature at all in UK citizen emigration.

What countries do you think UK residents want to move to that offer a noticeably better life than the UK?

I don't. I don't have an agenda I was just curious. Me personally I'd like to go to France.
I don't. I don't have an agenda I was just curious. Me personally I'd like to go to France.

Finland for me.
Reply 35
Original post by Gazpacho.
You've muddled up tax burden and marginal rate. Marginal rate is a specific phrase that refers to the tax rate on each additional unit of income.

This is why we need to teach basic financial literacy at school.

I completely understand. But talking about high marginal rates misrepresents the true cost as it obfuscates the argument. 60% sounds like a big number but is it? You have suggested you don't earn £100k+ where the 60% marginal rate kicks in so I would suggest you are trying to make a moot point.
And you are doing that other much loved British trait of looking down your nose at those you perceived to be ignorant. And you accuse me of being rude.

How much do you earn?
Reply 36
Original post by gjd800
Suffering isn't a virtue. If, all things being equal, you can go somewhere and do what you want to easier than you could in the UK, then what's the issue? Not everybody is an entrepreneur. A lot of us are normal people who just want a bit more out of a relatively normal life.

Agreed. The idea that life is easier elsewhere is the Cruz of the issue. I don't believe it is. I certainly can't think of anywhere in the world where I could teach and be better off all round.
Reply 37
Original post by londonmyst
Many of Britain's average earning workers under 39 with relocation ambitions are seeking tax free job roles with free accomodation in other continents that have much warmer weather than Britain does.
Or high basic pay levels and the types of perks that are only offered by some parts of the usa, the middle east & asia.
Whether these types of expectations are realistic or not is another matter.

I agree, the UAE being one of them. But when you do the breakdown, factor in cost of living and the fact you live in a desert with no where interesting to visit and the fact that the outdoors are out of bounds in the summer it isn't quite the Utopia the highly edited TikTok reels portray.
Reply 38
Original post by hotpud
Agreed. The idea that life is easier elsewhere is the Cruz of the issue. I don't believe it is. I certainly can't think of anywhere in the world where I could teach and be better off all round.

Well, I went from skivvying for 12 hours a day on a dock, in carcinogens, in **** weather, to working 6 or 7 hours in the sun (variously bar work, restaurant work, fitting solar panels) for the same or more money with none of the responsibilities I had at home. People's situations differ.
Reply 39
Original post by gjd800
Well, I went from skivvying for 12 hours a day on a dock, in carcinogens, in **** weather, to working 6 or 7 hours in the sun (variously bar work, restaurant work, fitting solar panels) for the same or more money with none of the responsibilities I had at home. People's situations differ.

Completely agree. And I wish you all the very best with that career over the next 30-40 years!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending