The Student Room Group

Article on Technology (development)

I am reading specifically about the retail industry and how technology is introduced.

There is one disadvantage I am unsure about in relation to Self-checkout services:
"Inventory records may become corrupted if customers do not scan correctly for example, scanning the barcode of a different product that has the same price"

Could someone please explain this?
You own a shop with an electronic inventory system. Your cereal aisle is empty, so you order 5 boxes of Corn Flakes and 5 Boxes of Rice Crispies to stock it up. Your inventory looks like this:

Corn Flakes: 5
Rice Crispies: 5

A customer comes along, picks a box of each cereal off the shelf and heads for the self-checkout. Instead of scanning each box individually, they scan the Corn Flakes box twice, pay and walk out. The transaction details are sent to your inventory system, which now looks like this:

Corn Flakes: 3

But in reality you have 4 of each. As a result, you might order more boxes of Corn Flakes than you actually need, and not enough boxes of Rice Crispies.
Original post by Captain Haddock
You own a shop with an electronic inventory system. Your cereal aisle is empty, so you order 5 boxes of Corn Flakes and 5 Boxes of Rice Crispies to stock it up. Your inventory looks like this:

Corn Flakes: 5

A customer comes along, picks a box of each cereal off the shelf and heads for the self-checkout. Instead of scanning each box individually, they scan the Corn Flakes box twice, pay and walk out. The transaction details are sent to your inventory system, which now looks like this:

Corn Flakes: 3

But in reality you have 4 of each. As a result, you might order more boxes of Corn Flakes than you actually need, and not enough boxes of Rice Crispies.

Ohhh! I understood now, thank you so much!

So this leads to difficulties for the inventory management team itself because the number of products becomes mismatched.
This has happened to me also because one time I scanned 2x a pack of oranges and I realised later! But the self-checkout machine did not pick this up!

Therefore, it shows that self-checkout is not 100% accurate and can lead to errors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending