The Student Room Group

Placement and study abroad.

Help please!!!
I know generally some unis offer placement years or a study abroad year as a part of the course and it's optional sometimes.
Is it possible for unis to offer a placement year abroad and if they don't have it exceptionally stated in the course content but offer placement and study abroad years, is that something that can be requested for??
Thank you so much for your help.
Some universities offer Erasmus programs. What is it that you want exactly? Have you already applied to a uni? I can help you further with the application if you need to.
Reply 2
Original post by get_into_uni
Some universities offer Erasmus programs. What is it that you want exactly? Have you already applied to a uni? I can help you further with the application if you need to.

I haven’t applied to uni yet. I’m applying for 2025 entry I just want to know what I’m doing before I go into uni. I know I want to go on a placement year but I also want to do a study abroad year and I’m trying to find out if I have to pick one or there are universities that offer placements abroad.
Original post by Klio.
I haven’t applied to uni yet. I’m applying for 2025 entry I just want to know what I’m doing before I go into uni. I know I want to go on a placement year but I also want to do a study abroad year and I’m trying to find out if I have to pick one or there are universities that offer placements abroad.

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether this is possible or not, and I'm sure it varies between universities. I'd recommend finding universities that you are interested in that can offer both (but may not explicitly say whether or not you can do both), and trying to contact them directly to find out.

Since you are applying for 2025 entry, maybe it would be useful to choose a few you are interested in and attend open days? This way, you can ask in person and be certain on what your options are with placement and study abroad.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Reply 4
Original post by Chester Student
Hi there,

I'm not sure whether this is possible or not, and I'm sure it varies between universities. I'd recommend finding universities that you are interested in that can offer both (but may not explicitly say whether or not you can do both), and trying to contact them directly to find out.

Since you are applying for 2025 entry, maybe it would be useful to choose a few you are interested in and attend open days? This way, you can ask in person and be certain on what your options are with placement and study abroad.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

I think that's my best option. Thank you so much.

Also if you don't mind me asking how was your study abroad year like? Was it what you expected? Would you recommend it? I'm really curious since this is all new to me but also something I am interested in. You can private message me if you would rather not put it in the thread. Thank you again.
Original post by Klio.
I think that's my best option. Thank you so much.

Also if you don't mind me asking how was your study abroad year like? Was it what you expected? Would you recommend it? I'm really curious since this is all new to me but also something I am interested in. You can private message me if you would rather not put it in the thread. Thank you again.
Of course! And I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I am currently still on my study abroad year in the USA, and I am absolutely loving it! I did a LOT of research before I came here, but it still wasn't quite as I expected (and still surprises me everyday, but in a good way!). I think many aspects of my year abroad so far have exceeded my expectations. The academics, the opportunities to make friends, the activities, the stunning location I was placed - and more.

I would absolutely recommend taking a year abroad if that is offered to you and you feel it is something that would be beneficial. For me, it was an easy decision when I first applied to university. There is no better time to do it either, as the level of support you get from everyone is unmatched and it feels a lot better to know you have so many people to help you if things go wrong.

I really have had the best time so far and it has been an incredible experience.

If you are interested like you say, I'd recommend doing as much research as you can. Look at what is offered in terms of study abroad at each university you are looking to apply to; see if you can contact their study abroad team for more information; consider costs and funding you can receive (student loans, The Turing Scheme, etc); and think about where you'd like to go.

If you are interested in looking at places you could go, ISEP would be a great place to look. I know a lot of universities do send their students through ISEP, and it never hurts to get a head start on your research!

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions,

Isabella 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending