The Student Room Group

Writing programs (software eng)

Hi, i’m currently in yr11 and i’m looking to go into computer science and recently ive been a little daunted by the whole programming process…

To anyone that can actually create complex programs/ people working in CS I was wondering if the programming is something that you just do on your own or do you copy stuff from the internet. I copy (and learn) a lot from yt tutorials and copy from AI generated code but it makes me feel bad about my general ability to code. Would i still be elligible/valuable in CS if i was dependent with my code on other ppl/software?
Original post by fallxcy
Hi, i’m currently in yr11 and i’m looking to go into computer science and recently ive been a little daunted by the whole programming process…

To anyone that can actually create complex programs/ people working in CS I was wondering if the programming is something that you just do on your own or do you copy stuff from the internet. I copy (and learn) a lot from yt tutorials and copy from AI generated code but it makes me feel bad about my general ability to code. Would i still be elligible/valuable in CS if i was dependent with my code on other ppl/software?

Professional software developers almost never copy code off the internet - simply because they don't need to. They might come across a problem which they can't solve, so go on-line in search of someone else who's solved the same issue. But then they would use that knowledge to fix their own code. You might occasionally find small functions (perhaps 10 lines or so) which have been copied verbatim, but that's pretty rare I'd say.

One of the problems with simply copy/pasting code is it doesn't help you learn how to code. So when faced with a similar problem again, you've no idea how you solved it last time (as you just copied someone else's code), so you can't solve it this time either.

The next time you need to write some code, try very hard to do it yourself. By all means refer to some code on-line for inspiration, if necessary, but code it yourself. You'll feel a lot better about the result.
Reply 2
Original post by fallxcy

There is nothing wrong with copying code, but what you really want to be aiming to do is to create a project which you have constructed the solution for and decided how it will be coded. So why not think of a project you could make? When I was a kid, I started out making menus so that I could run all my apps without having to type in the command. That sort of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending