The Student Room Group

What to do about my job situation??

Hey guys so iv been tryna get a job for 4 months now. I quit my last job working as a customer service adviser for teleperformance cos I wasn't doing well in it. I had a telephone interview for a react programming job for access group but they rejected me cos said that it's too senior for me and want they commercial experience doing react programming but I've got a bachelors's and master's degree's in computer science and done software engineering and I.T internships so why isn't that enough?! I want an I.T job but cos my degree is 3 yrs old and I'v not had an I.T job for over a yr now no one will hire me :frown: I wanna do programming but only know the basics of html, css. So what should I do?
Original post by cherlloydfan1
Hey guys so iv been tryna get a job for 4 months now. I quit my last job working as a customer service adviser for teleperformance cos I wasn't doing well in it. I had a telephone interview for a react programming job for access group but they rejected me cos said that it's too senior for me and want they commercial experience doing react programming but I've got a bachelors's and master's degree's in computer science and done software engineering and I.T internships so why isn't that enough?! I want an I.T job but cos my degree is 3 yrs old and I'v not had an I.T job for over a yr now no one will hire me :frown: I wanna do programming but only know the basics of html, css. So what should I do?

The issue is that there is a disconnect between the fact that you "only know the basics of html, css" and the fact that this is a "react programming job".

Have you done any React programming? Do you have "commercial experience doing react programming" (which is what you say they were looking for)?

If your degree hasn't equipped you with the skills and experience you need to obtain the job you seek, then you need to augment your knowledge somehow.

Fortunately, it's easier to do that in IT than in many industries. Buy a React book, or find a decent web site, or series of YouTube tutorials and teach yourself what you need to know. Then create a public web site which demonstrates that knowledge. What the topic of your React skills comes up, you can simply point them to this web site and they can see for themselves what you skill level is.
Reply 2

Howd the CapGem job go?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7190549#post96913957

You have a bachelors and a masters in computer science but you only know basic html and css? What were you doing over those 4 (or more) years? Or is it because computer science degrees are that overrated? It is not difficult to get a programming/IT job. People can get those jobs without even having a degree. Why? Because everyone is equally smart these days and everyone can write code. You are likely competing with lots of other computer science graduates which makes it more difficult.

If you seriously want to get into programming, knowing basic html and css is not enough. You will need to learn programming languages such as Python and Java. You can find self-paced courses on those online. If you feel like you're lacking in this area then you should do additional training to upskill yourself. Also, start working on your own personal projects, create a git repository, and show these off to the employer. Refine your CV and put all your skills on display. If you lack experience, then maybe you also need to look at entry-level or junior positions rather than applying for senior roles because it seems like you've only done internships and of course that's not enough for senior positions. You need at least good 2 or 3 years of constant programming experience to land a senior role.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by username6242010
it seems like you've only done internships

"Graduate software developer" doesn't sound like an intern role?
Original post by Quady
"Graduate software developer" doesn't sound like an intern role?

I didn't read your comment. But looking at his thread from a year ago we don't know if he even took this job and even if he did, 12 months of experience still isn't enough for a senior role. Also, in this thread, he says he only knows basic html and css and also the fact that he only did some internships so I am only going by what he is saying in this thread. To me, it seems crazy that someone did software engineering internships and has a masters but only knows basic html and css. It seems unlikely. Even people who haven't studied computer science as a degree know more programming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending