The Student Room Group

Should I leave university?

Hi everyone, I am not too sure as to whether I should leave university.

I rarely enjoy university. I find it extremely and I find it so difficult to focus or care about my work. I want to become a counsellor/therapist and my Bachelors in Psychology would help when applying for graduate jobs.
However, I dislike the whole environment at university. I find that very few people are actually half decent and many have been extremely insensitive or outright offensive at times.

I've also noticed that since starting university, I have felt constantly depressed, anxious, and lacked motivation in all areas of my life. My mental health has always been difficult to deal with, and the wellbeing team at my university can only offer surface-level therapy, when my issues are deep-root.

I have literally just started making friends and we are close to the end of the second year too (my course is 3 years long). I understand that I could just stick it out, but I am finding it next to impossible to focus on work. Whenever I think about continuing education at university, I have a feelings of sadness and dread wash over me.

I am so grateful to be getting an education at university and at least have the opportunity to try this life out for myself. But, point is, I am miserable here. I know it. I don't want to disappoint my family, my new friends and myself, and I am unsure what to do if I do leave.

I just don't know what to do. Does anyone know how I can finalise my decision?
Have you looked into transferring to an accredited counselling undergrad degree?

It’s possible that 2 years of a psychology degree might be sufficient to go into year 2 of a counselling degree. Alternatively if you find a part time counselling degree you could start from year 1 and be funded for the whole course (including a partial maintenance loan if you are studying on campus and not distance learning).

Also have you spoken to your GP about your mental health? It may be that some low dosage medication will have a huge positive impact on your wellbeing. It does sound like things are being exacerbated by being unhappy with your studies but if your brain chemistry had a bit of help from medication then you might find it easier to cope with.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest