The Student Room Group

Exeter or Birmingham

Hello! I have an offer from University of Exeter for Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management as well as an offer from University of Birmingham for Msc Investments. Can anyone please share their insights on which program and uni is better?
I would say both are on par really. Neither are really target universities by the financial sector so I would think carefull from that perspective. Internationally, Birmingham probably has a slightly higher profile. Exeter's reputation tends to be overinflated and only really at the undergraduate level due to being in the top ten a few times and having a reputation for supposedly attracting "Oxbridge Rejects" akin to Durham and York and St Andrews. In terms of student life they could not be more different from each other: Birmingham is one of the largest and msot diverse cities in the country. Exeter in comparison is much quieter but an enjoyable experience.

If you're doing this programme to boost your prospects in the financial or consulting sector I would strongly advise not to go to either especially if you are self-funding. I would look at the possibility of applying for a programme at a place that has a proven track record of recruiting into the field and being targetted by the bigger companies and firms. Places like: Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh, Manchester, King's College London, Warwick. Potentially you could add Bristol to that list.
To add to the above I would even recommend City University London and Cranfield University above Exeter and Birmingham for anything Finance/Business/Management related. Birmingham is a solid university and especially in Medical and Health Sciences, Exeter also for Medicine and more so in History and Humanities subjects. Business and Finance, not so much.

One of the key aspects of business school is graduating from a school with a strong alumni network around the country and the world in that sector. Even Cranfield would offer better prospects in this respect.
Original post by Aditi Vyas
Hello! I have an offer from University of Exeter for Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management as well as an offer from University of Birmingham for Msc Investments. Can anyone please share their insights on which program and uni is better?

Hi @Aditi Vyas,

First, congrats on receiving an offer!

I don't know too much about the Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management course here, but there are a few things I recommend considering when making your decision:

Take a closer look at the course you have applied to. I can see that the two courses you have applied to vary slightly - does one suit you better than the other? Consider assessment types, placement opportunities, module availability, contact hours, areas of expertise, etc.

Think about the societies and clubs on offer at each university - you may have a certain hobby or take part in a sport. Does the university you are considering offer this? Are there any societies that really interest you - maybe it is offered at one university but not the other.

Consider the area you want to live in for the next few years of your life. Personally, I think Exeter is the perfect mix between city and campus. Everything is located nearby and is easy to find on campus, which is really beautiful and very green! Town is only a ten minute walk away, with plenty of pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc to keep you busy during your time here! It is also only a 20 minute train ride to the beach - perfect when the weather gets a bit warmer! Again, these are all things to keep in mind when making your decision!

Personally, I have really enjoyed my time at Exeter! The teaching quality is great and the students are really friendly and welcoming. I would also add that we have a fantastic Careers Team who are on hand to help with CV writing, interview practice, job searches, placement opportunities, etc.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend visiting for an Open Day or Offer Holder Day to get an insight into what life in Exeter is like! You can find more information here. Additionally, if you have any specific questions about the course you have applied to, you can speak to one of our current students using our online messaging system, linked here.

I hope this has helped in some way! Feel free to get back in contact with any other questions you may have!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending