The Student Room Group

Which university would you go to for a career in commercial law?

Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter or Birmingham?!

I am torn mostly between Bristol and Notts - is there much difference in terms of commercial law advantage?
(edited 3 months ago)
Bristol probably edges it reputation-wise, but nowadays Law firms are increasingly egalitarian, once you get to the top end of UK law schools, what is important is your law school grades, try to get a first, and your Extracurriculars at uni like law society membership etc, being proactive and a good interview for vac schemes is super important, all these things are more important than the marginal difference in prestige between the top UK unis. Going to Exeter and getting a first is far far better than a 2.1 at Bristol for example.

Would say bristol is better than nottingham but not by loads, if you prefer nottingham as a city/uni go there, but i imagine the average student at bristol is slightly better than notts.

If you want a ranking:

Bristol, Notts, Exeter, Birmingham
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by symptom
I am torn mostly between Bristol and Notts - is there much difference in terms of commercial law advantage?

The difference ain't big enough for you to pick based on how successful the average student is there, just go for whichever you prefer and would feel more comfortable in as both have an excellent reputation for commercial firms
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 3
Out of the universities you've shortlisted any perceived differences in "prestige" are near 100% irrelevant when it comes to future law firm applications. They're all good universities that more than tick the "good uni" box with recruitment teams.

Pick whichever you think you'll enjoy the most and be happiest at! (and make the most of building up all the other important parts of your CV for the future with extracurriculars/sports and work experience)
Original post by symptom

Bristol or Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending