The Student Room Group

Second year housemates hate me but I've already signed for another year

I moved into my new uni house at the end of september, along with two people who I considered good friends at the time. It started okay but soon became unbearable since then they've been constantly ignoring me, accusing me of touching their things, nitpicking at everything I do in the house and it's clear they've grown to hate me.

Before this all got so unbearable I signed for another year in the same house along with them back in October/November, but I can't take another year of this. It's causing me so much emotional distress I've been having panic attacks about it.

Is there any way for me to get out of another year of this? The house isn't university-owned so I don't think it would work.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I moved into my new uni house at the end of september, along with two people who I considered good friends at the time. It started okay but soon became unbearable since then they've been constantly ignoring me, accusing me of touching their things, nitpicking at everything I do in the house and it's clear they've grown to hate me.

Before this all got so unbearable I signed for another year in the same house along with them back in October/November, but I can't take another year of this. It's causing me so much emotional distress I've been having panic attacks about it.

Is there any way for me to get out of another year of this? The house isn't university-owned so I don't think it would work.

Hi there,

This is definitely possible depending on your contract. Usually, it would be up to you to find a replacement. I recommend looking among friends and on university facebook groups for someone to replace you on the tenancy. You may be required to pay a fee to change the name. There may be support with this at your student union so I'd recommend looking on their website.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing this situation. Usually, you would need to find an replacement tenant. I'd recommend contacting your estate agent/accommodation provider and let them know that you're looking for a replacement tenant. They may be able to help guide you. I'd recommend posting on sites like TSR, SpareRoom and social media (e.g. Facebook groups).

-Nicky
Get a medical letter from a GP commenting on your mental state living in your current abode. Then it is entirely up to the landlord if they let you go, this has worked for me in the past.

Hi,

A similar situation happened with me when I was at university when a member of our house didn't want to live with us anymore. Like the others have said depending on your contract you can find a replacement to take over your tenancy, and if that's the case that you can do this you have plenty of time to find someone. I recommend being honest with the 2 other people you live with now and say that you are looking for someone else to take over your tenancy for next year, as they might have someone in mind which can move in. If not there's lots of places you can find someone to take over the tenancy like Facebook groups, The Student room and SpareRoom.

You got plenty of time to sort out this situation, I only had 3 weeks to find someone to take over the tenancy in the house I was in before we were all expected to move in and I found someone so I'm sure you can find someone too.

I hope this helps🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending