The Student Room Group

How can I stop “what if “ thoughts?

Why do I constantly have what if thoughts from thinking of the past. They frighten the life out of me.

I keep worrying that it’s my gut feeling” I can’t tell the difference between that and anxiety. All I know is these thoughts make me feel sick, upset, hot and clammy feet & hands. And a massive knot in my stomach and it’s all my mind can focus on. Please please someone please help me
Original post by Anonymous #1
Why do I constantly have what if thoughts from thinking of the past. They frighten the life out of me.

I keep worrying that it’s my gut feeling” I can’t tell the difference between that and anxiety. All I know is these thoughts make me feel sick, upset, hot and clammy feet & hands. And a massive knot in my stomach and it’s all my mind can focus on. Please please someone please help me

Maybe its worth speaking to someone like a professional, I know the first leap in asking for help can be scary, and speaking from own experience it won't be easy but once you make that jump you will be able to work through and rationalise your feelings in a way that will desensitise you from your thoughts of the past, ❤️ Keeping you in my prayers, hope things get better soon

Quick Reply

Latest