The Student Room Group

TSR opinion poll, Feb 2024: how would you vote in the general election?

Scroll to see replies

Would have to be Lib Dem for me, but it would be tactical vote placed begrudgingly.
Original post by Mesacake
Labour will ruin this country, we need the Tories as stupid as that sounds.
what
Original post by encensmystique
Would have to be Lib Dem for me, but it would be tactical vote placed begrudgingly.

Interesting nobody has come out here yet and say they're voting Lib Dem because they are enthusiastic about the Lib Dem message, but yet I don't think they'll mind that and will just collect tactical votes!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Interesting nobody has come out here yet and say they're voting Lib Dem because they are enthusiastic about the Lib Dem message, but yet I don't think they'll mind that and will just collect tactical votes!
I’d be more enthusiastic if they hadn’t turned into a NIMBY party. I do agree with them on a lot of stuff (actually more than I do most other parties), but I would really like to be able to own my own home in the place I was born and they use the little power they still have to obstruct building at a local level
(edited 2 months ago)
I’d be more enthusiastic if they hadn’t turned into a NIMBY party. I do agree with them on a lot of stuff (actually more than I do most other parties), but I would really like to be able to own my own home in the place I was born and they use the little power they still have to obstruct building at a local level

Most of my friends in the Young Liberals would say exactly the same thing (and I, definitely not a member of the Young Liberals, would agree!)
Original post by Mesacake
Labour will ruin this country, we need the Tories as stupid as that sounds.

"Labour will ruin this country!" after the Tories spent the last 12~ years ruining it themselves directly.
Original post by artful_lounger
"Labour will ruin this country!" after the Tories spent the last 12~ years ruining it themselves directly.
Minor correction: they’ve been ruining the country for 14 years in May

Ah wait didn’t see the ~, it’s early
(edited 2 months ago)
Minor correction: they’ve been ruining the country for 14 years in May

Ah wait didn’t see the ~, it’s early

Even longer then! :eek:
Hold my nose and vote Labour as only way to get the Tories out as they really are beyond the pale now. imo arguments of 'They're as bad as each other' just don't stand up anymore and we can't keep going on as we are with this Nazi-Lite™ crap

(Nazi obv gets thrown around a lot, but we have people like Lee Anderson pretty much trying to literally recreate Kristallnacht.)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by StriderHort
Hold my nose and vote Labour as only way to get the Tories out as they really are beyond the pale now. imo arguments of 'They're as bad as each other' just don't stand up anymore and we can't keep going on as we are with this Nazi-Lite™ crap

(Nazi obv gets thrown around a lot, but we have people like Lee Anderson pretty much trying to literally recreate Kristallnacht.)
I really don't like Wes Streeting, got a bunch of money from donors and mark my words- Labour will be the government to start privatising the NHS.

Now does this mean vote tory- no of course not. Pick your poison is what I'll say. I personally believe there is a cult of personality around Starmer, and they've become tory-lite. Man I'm voting green, they have a decent hold in my community and they seem to actually care. None of this 2-party dominated crap.

We've turned our politics into the USA's, and I hate it. Why do we have to copy all the crap things of the US while not being good at the good things?

Rant over.
Original post by SK-18
I really don't like Wes Streeting, got a bunch of money from donors and mark my words- Labour will be the government to start privatising the NHS.

Now does this mean vote tory- no of course not. Pick your poison is what I'll say. I personally believe there is a cult of personality around Starmer, and they've become tory-lite. Man I'm voting green, they have a decent hold in my community and they seem to actually care. None of this 2-party dominated crap.

We've turned our politics into the USA's, and I hate it. Why do we have to copy all the crap things of the US while not being good at the good things?

Rant over.

I agree with a lot of that and I wish voting was more broad rather than the Blue VS Red.

My priority is to get the current government out more than to get Labour to win if you get me, I just see Labour as, regrettably, the only realistic option there for now. I would basically accept Labour being a bit corrupt and crap, because what we have is just so so so far off the rails in terms of accountability at this point, I'm already dreading that they start this Trumpy 'The deep state stole your election!' crap if they lose
Original post by SK-18

Rant over.

That’s the first time anyone has used the term cult of personality and Starmer in the same sentence for the simple fact that he doesn’t have much personality.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Original post by SK-18

Rant over.

That’s the first time anyone has used the term cult of personality and Starmer in the same sentence for the simple fact that he doesn’t have much personality.

😂 that’s true bro. Bro is quite grey. Regardless, the purges of labour were scary- some were deserved though tbh. But I can’t help but feel there is thin ice over there.
Yeah that's defo one of my issues with them. Hard to see what they have to offer young people especially given the housing crisis.
Original post by StriderHort

"Nazi-lite" is a bit of a stretch, I don't think anything Lee Anderson said would be out of place in a right-wing party on the Continent.

For what it's worth I don't think either of the major parties have a "far-right" or "far-left". We have an extremely narrow Overton window that treats people like, say, Suella Braverman or Jeremy Corbyn as extremists whereas in any other European country they'd be seen as mainstream politicians.
Original post by seri0uscandidate
Yeah that's defo one of my issues with them. Hard to see what they have to offer young people especially given the housing crisis.
They're trying to make gains in the blue wall on the home counties, and to be fair to them it does seem to be working. Maybe they just want to move on entirely from trying to be a young people's party as they've never really recovered from the tuition fee rises from the time of the coalition government.
Original post by Smack
They're trying to make gains in the blue wall on the home counties, and to be fair to them it does seem to be working. Maybe they just want to move on entirely from trying to be a young people's party as they've never really recovered from the tuition fee rises from the time of the coalition government.

I mean that just sounds like Tory-lite.

I really am depressed by the state of politics in the UK. I’m also defeated on pursuing a career in medicine aswell. Scope creep by PA’s, as well as the stupidity of the government to give PA’s free rein with no repercussions. Labour has only supported PA/AA use while not addressing the lack of specialty placements for medical students.

I don’t know what im going to do now.
Reply 37
Hold my nose and vote for Labour.Got to get Tories out.Would vote tactically according to where I live.
Re spoilt ballots have seen total of spoilt ballots called out at countless election counts.
Original post by Smack
Probably, but it's not like there's any future in trying to be a diet version of the Tories.

To be honest I don't think we really have a young people's party right now.
Original post by seri0uscandidate
"Nazi-lite" is a bit of a stretch, I don't think anything Lee Anderson said would be out of place in a right-wing party on the Continent.

For what it's worth I don't think either of the major parties have a "far-right" or "far-left". We have an extremely narrow Overton window that treats people like, say, Suella Braverman or Jeremy Corbyn as extremists whereas in any other European country they'd be seen as mainstream politicians.

Weren't the Nazis a right wing party on the continent? (cheap shot, but yeah)

I know it could be seen as a bit of a stretch, but I'm seeing an entrenched & entitled government and increasingly desperate attempts to paint all the countries mismanagement woes as the fault of variously, people in small boats, people with brown skin and people of Muslim faith with more politicians trying to openly whip up public anger and dehumanise these people with an attitude of 'Something Must Be Done' It might be a stretch, but I think it's eminently reasonably to worry about where this line of action leads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending