The Student Room Group

TSR opinion poll, Feb 2024: how would you vote in the general election?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
Weren't the Nazis a right wing party on the continent? (cheap shot, but yeah)

I know it could be seen as a bit of a stretch, but I'm seeing an entrenched & entitled government and increasingly desperate attempts to paint all the countries mismanagement woes as the fault of variously, people in small boats, people with brown skin and people of Muslim faith with more politicians trying to openly whip up public anger and dehumanise these people with an attitude of 'Something Must Be Done' It might be a stretch, but I think it's eminently reasonably to worry about where this line of action leads.
Well yes lol, but what I'm saying is that the National Rally and PVV routinely say stuff along the lines of what Anderson said, and both those parties aren't seen as "extremist" in either France or Holland, they're seen as right-wing parties with an accepted role in the political landscape. Just like how Melenchon, who says stuff along the lines of what Corbyn said when he was Labour leader, isn't smeared as a communist anti-Semite by the French papers.

The UK has a very narrow Overton window, where if you advocate for any economic policies left of what Blair supported the media and the political class call you "far-left" and if you advocate for any social policies right of what Blair supported the media and the political class call you "far-right". That isn't something you see in other democracies in Europe and to be honest it's incredibly undemocratic.

As for your last point the Tories aren't going to do anything about illegal immigration. If they were they would have come up with an actually workable solution to it instead of Rwanda. I also don't think Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch are going to lead a movement against "people with brown skin"
Original post by seri0uscandidate
Well yes lol, but what I'm saying is that the National Rally and PVV routinely say stuff along the lines of what Anderson said, and both those parties aren't seen as "extremist" in either France or Holland, they're seen as right-wing parties with an accepted role in the political landscape. Just like how Melenchon, who says stuff along the lines of what Corbyn said when he was Labour leader, isn't smeared as a communist anti-Semite by the French papers.

The UK has a very narrow Overton window, where if you advocate for any economic policies left of what Blair supported the media and the political class call you "far-left" and if you advocate for any social policies right of what Blair supported the media and the political class call you "far-right". That isn't something you see in other democracies in Europe and to be honest it's incredibly undemocratic.

As for your last point the Tories aren't going to do anything about illegal immigration. If they were they would have come up with an actually workable solution to it instead of Rwanda. I also don't think Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch are going to lead a movement against "people with brown skin"
The problem is they will and do use anyone and anything they think will keep them in power This stokes division in the country against community against community,and turns neighbour against neighbour.Mp's are having to spend 31 million on extra protection for themselves because of tensions they themselves have fueled through their policies which have increased inequalities and their rhetoric which blames various others.We have politicians who are being reckless with the nations psyche.
Sunak ,Braverman and Badenock think they are rich enough to buy their personal way out of trouble.

This post has given me a different perspective when you put it that way, and it maybe shows that politics in the UK (at least in England) compared to other European countries (especially compared to France for example) might be too narrow.
Well yes lol, but what I'm saying is that the National Rally and PVV routinely say stuff along the lines of what Anderson said, and both those parties aren't seen as "extremist" in either France or Holland

I'm not sure this is true at all they've only been engaged with when they've had unavoidably big election wins. And even then, see the difficulty Wilders is having actually forming a government with the PVV in now.
I will be voting Labour. The Conservatives have trashed the economy and ruined our international reputation. Labour have always governed better than the Conservatives, the country was better off with them. Nothing has improved over the last 13 years of Conservatism.

I would like Labour to be more left wing than it currently is, but even as they are today they are still better than the Conservatives. Under FPTP no other party has presented itself as capable of winning an election.
Now I'm in my mid 30s I don't know who to vote for. In my youth, I've always been a Labour supporter. In economic terms I still am a Labour supporter. That said I have moved more conservatively in terms of societal concepts. I have to decide which I value more, society or economy. Right now I don't know.

(sorry forgot to reply before went on holiday)

Re 'Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch aren't going to lead a movement against "people with brown skin"' .. .well, you'd really think that wouldn't you? but there they are courting the support of people who would certainly call them some very nasty things in different circumstances or even physically harm them if they could get away with it.

Re 'Rishi Sunak or Kemi Badenoch aren't going to lead a movement against "people with brown skin"' .. .well, you'd really think that wouldn't you? but there they are courting the support of people who would certainly call them some very nasty things in different circumstances or even physically harm them if they could get away with it.
It always amazes me they think their kids and relations will be immune to the racism they stir up.

Coming back to this because it's amusing how much my point got proven. Sunak scraping and appeasing to the donor Frank Hester who thinks Sunak's family should be riding on top of a train and that some people just make you hate all black women etc etc....

But yep that's who they court - effing pathetic.
Original post by Scotney
It always amazes me they think their kids and relations will be immune to the racism they stir up.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending