The Student Room Group

Worried about moving in with my friends

I'm going to be moving in with my friends for my next year at university, and even though I am excited I am also apprehensive about it.

They're incredible people, but I have been suffering from mental illness for the majority of my life and I am concerned about being a bad roommate because of it. Yes, I have sought help a lot, I've only ever managed to get a handful of counselling sessions before I'm on my own again, and no amount of going to my GP is getting me the help I need.

I'm not a very sociable person, my social battery drains pretty rapidly and as much as I love spending time with my friends, I'm afraid being around them so often under one roof could destroy what little energy I have even further.

I am clean, I take care of myself, but I do have episodes where I can't leave my bed for hours on end and I just want to shut myself out from the world, I have pretty nasty self-destructive tendencies and I am worried about making my friends concerned, because even though I have no intention of ever doing anything drastic, my lows are ROUGH and I am concerned about my friends seeing me in that state.

How do I best approach this? I never want to be that roommate who is difficult, who makes everyone else feel weird or uncomfortable or concerned, and I especially don't want them to feel drained from having to put up with me.
Reply 1
Hello there 🙂
Perhaps you should tell your friends this. Are you particularly close to any of them? Knowing they know should make you feel better.
I'm currently sharing a flat with 3 of my friends and one guy I live with spends most of his time in his room and never goes to lectures. I myself have a lot of trust issues when it comes to friends and by telling them this I have felt more comfortable being difficult to live with.
No doubt they will find you irritating is some way. This is just what happens when you start living with your friends. But they know deep down why you are the way you are and they won't really judge you for that.
If you want to dm me to talk feel free too but there's no pressure.
Reply 2
Original post by Dreyver
Hello there 🙂
Perhaps you should tell your friends this. Are you particularly close to any of them? Knowing they know should make you feel better.
I'm currently sharing a flat with 3 of my friends and one guy I live with spends most of his time in his room and never goes to lectures. I myself have a lot of trust issues when it comes to friends and by telling them this I have felt more comfortable being difficult to live with.
No doubt they will find you irritating is some way. This is just what happens when you start living with your friends. But they know deep down why you are the way you are and they won't really judge you for that.
My friends are aware yes, they've known about my depression for a long time but I think they often really underestimate how bad it is which is pretty frustrating since I am generally high-functioning when around other people, but of course that's just me masking. The only real grace I have is that they're gonna be far busier than I am with how our schedules are seeming, so I may have more reprieve to kind of gather myself and sort my head out before having to hang out with them, but it just feels rough constantly being self-conscious about living with my friends since I don't really have control over when the really major depressive episodes hit and all.

They are good friends, I feel like I am incidentally making them seem like they aren't, but they just don't really understand at all which is okay, but it leaves me struggling to function in a way that isn't going to annoy them while trying to give myself some sort of grace because I also have other chronic illnesses.
Original post by Dreyver
Hello there 🙂

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest