The Student Room Group

Ski trip

I moved schools in year 9 and I'm in year 10 now. I
decided to sign up for the ski trip last year and now i will be going in a month. My anxiety has been so bad at the moment. I'm anxious about normal clothes, ski clothes,
prices and many things but what I'm most worried
about is that I will have no one there with me. Not a single friend of mine will be going except one but she left the school recently so im stuck now. I cant get out of the trip as I already payed everything in full and if I were to drop out I'll barely get a refund as they decrease the refund the closer the date is to the trip. Im very nervous and anxious and knowing i will have
no friends is making me worried. There are a few girls in my year that will be coming but i am not friends with them and I don't think they will talk to me as much as my school is very big and we're not close. I've always wanted to go skiing and I'm genuinly glad i got the opportunity to go but i can't shake off this massive feeling of anxiety. Especially since I have never skied and am totally clueless.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I moved schools in year 9 and I'm in year 10 now. I
decided to sign up for the ski trip last year and now i will be going in a month. My anxiety has been so bad at the moment. I'm anxious about normal clothes, ski clothes,
prices and many things but what I'm most worried
about is that I will have no one there with me. Not a single friend of mine will be going except one but she left the school recently so im stuck now. I cant get out of the trip as I already payed everything in full and if I were to drop out I'll barely get a refund as they decrease the refund the closer the date is to the trip. Im very nervous and anxious and knowing i will have
no friends is making me worried. There are a few girls in my year that will be coming but i am not friends with them and I don't think they will talk to me as much as my school is very big and we're not close. I've always wanted to go skiing and I'm genuinly glad i got the opportunity to go but i can't shake off this massive feeling of anxiety. Especially since I have never skied and am totally clueless.
I've been in a similar situation, I was going on a trip where I only knew one other person and I was going to be in a room with some of their friends I didn't know. One thing I found really helped was just talking to them a little bit ahead of time - maybe you could try and start a conversation with one of the girls in your year that are going? Maybe ask if they can clarify something about the trip, or what they're excited about. Something like "By the way, aren't you going on that trip?" could be a good way to start a conversation. That way, they'll have spoken to you at least a little before, so it'll be easier to talk to them during the trip.
If that doesn't work, you may end up finding that there are other people on the trip alone who just want someone to talk to - if you see someone alone looking a bit lost, chances are they're feeling the same as you, and would probably be really relieved if you talked to them.
Even if you don't manage to find anyone to talk to, you said you'd always wanted to go skiing - you'll probably enjoy it anyway! I know anxiety makes it feel like everything's going to be awful, but its usually nowhere near as bad as you expect.
But if you manage to go, despite the anxiety, then it's worth something even if you don't really enjoy it, because you'll still have tried.
Reply 2
Original post by ezther1
I've been in a similar situation, I was going on a trip where I only knew one other person and I was going to be in a room with some of their friends I didn't know. One thing I found really helped was just talking to them a little bit ahead of time - maybe you could try and start a conversation with one of the girls in your year that are going? Maybe ask if they can clarify something about the trip, or what they're excited about. Something like "By the way, aren't you going on that trip?" could be a good way to start a conversation. That way, they'll have spoken to you at least a little before, so it'll be easier to talk to them during the trip.
If that doesn't work, you may end up finding that there are other people on the trip alone who just want someone to talk to - if you see someone alone looking a bit lost, chances are they're feeling the same as you, and would probably be really relieved if you talked to them.
Even if you don't manage to find anyone to talk to, you said you'd always wanted to go skiing - you'll probably enjoy it anyway! I know anxiety makes it feel like everything's going to be awful, but its usually nowhere near as bad as you expect.
But if you manage to go, despite the anxiety, then it's worth something even if you don't really enjoy it, because you'll still have tried.

Thanks! I'm going the following Saturday now. Most of the girls are not very nice as I've heard from others but I will try to befriend them anyways for the trip. I'll try not to worry much, thank you for the encouragement :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest