The Student Room Group

I feel that lacking emotional maturity is the root of many of my problems/worries

I've been struggling lately with feeling like people don't like me and not enjoying being on my own. This is particularly hard while at uni. But the issue is its putting pressure on some of my close friends and I feel really guilty about it. They're so nice because they will chat to me when I'm upset but I feel like my worries are immature and childish, and can come across as petty and jealous. I then feel embarassed and guilty. Idk what to do to become better at managing my emotions - I feel like I can't solve problems on my own without having to talk to someone else.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've been struggling lately with feeling like people don't like me and not enjoying being on my own. This is particularly hard while at uni. But the issue is its putting pressure on some of my close friends and I feel really guilty about it. They're so nice because they will chat to me when I'm upset but I feel like my worries are immature and childish, and can come across as petty and jealous. I then feel embarassed and guilty. Idk what to do to become better at managing my emotions - I feel like I can't solve problems on my own without having to talk to someone else.
Hey there! Don't beat yourself up. The fact that you're being introspective and interrogating where you may be falling short is a great sign of emotional maturity.

I think its normal to feel this way from time to time. But if it's constant and you feel like it's affecting your other relationships, I think you should keep a journal. When I find that I'm sharing too many of my problems with people and it's straining my relationships or giving me guilt, I write in my journal. This helps me figure things out for myself, pour our all my emotions (without guilt or retaliation) and feel so much lighter and clearer afterwards. Believe me it works.

It doesn't gave to be a
Reply 2
Yeah ig you're right and I'm glad I'm able to be aware of my problems. I get nervous to keep a journal but it does help to write your feelings down so I think I should try it more thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest