The Student Room Group

Struggling with my mental health in A levels

Hello, I’m in year 12 and struggling with the stress of my A levels. Going into college everyday gives me such anxiety that I keep getting sick and having to stay home, hurting my attendance. I’ve tried for a long time to manage my anxiety but my school seems to enjoy making us anxious so we do well in our exams. I know nothing serious is coming up right now but I don’t know how I will cope when the pressure begins to ramp up more. Should I stay in the same place and try to tough it out or look for alternative solutions? I’m too nervous to talk to the counsellor, as I’ve been labelled an issue for doing so at previous schools.
I would try and talk to someone at school (doesn't necessarily have to be the counsellor) saying that you are struggling with anxiety, so then supports can be put in place to make it easier for you to attend school. You could start by going to a subject teacher that you trust if you feel unable to speak to the counsellor.
The user above has given good advice.

There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.
Original post by lemonc4ke
Hello, I’m in year 12 and struggling with the stress of my A levels. Going into college everyday gives me such anxiety that I keep getting sick and having to stay home, hurting my attendance. I’ve tried for a long time to manage my anxiety but my school seems to enjoy making us anxious so we do well in our exams. I know nothing serious is coming up right now but I don’t know how I will cope when the pressure begins to ramp up more. Should I stay in the same place and try to tough it out or look for alternative solutions? I’m too nervous to talk to the counsellor, as I’ve been labelled an issue for doing so at previous schools.
I personally found A levels horrible! I went from straight A grades in GCSE to my first ungraded exam despite spending more time on studying than before. It put me in a head spin that the level of success people expected me to get may never happen and the blame would be on me (even though it wasn't, it was down to terrible teaching and mental health). I came out with less than great A-levels and still ended up in the career I wanted. The key thing to remember is that there are MANY pathways to get where you need to be and happiness should be a priority. Depending on your career needed, you could request to go down to two A-levels or perhaps switch to a course that requires coursework rather than exam hall exams ( for me, this helped dial down the pressure ). Look for solutions but keep moving forward - remember there are always options 🙂
Original post by lemonc4ke

Maybe you could see your GP.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest