The Student Room Group

UEA or Sheffield University?

*My offer for Sheffield was Japanese Studies & UEA was for Translation, Media & Japanese (both with a year abroad)

For 3-4 months, I've been absolutely set on UEA. They were the first to give me an offer, and I honestly believed it'd be my only offer... Until yesterday when I was given a place at Sheffield... Didn't expect it but now I'm confused. Where should I go?

PERSONAL PRO'S & CON'S

UEA pro's:
1. It's in the countryside (which I prefer).
2. The course fits my interests a bit better.
3. It's slightly closer to where I live, and it's the next town from some of my relatives.
4. Seems better at admin (in terms of time it takes to hear a responding email).

Sheffield pro's:
1. Russell group uni + Japanese / EA department is one of the oldest and most developed in the UK.
2. One of the best student unions nationally.
3. Better accommodation options.
4. More year abroad options / international connections.

UEA con's:
1. Not that many viable accommodation options.
2. Dreary buildings & campus.
3. Not much representation for the Uni (aka I had never heard of the Uni until I did an extensive google search).
4. Huge staff and budget cuts impacting student experience.

Sheffield con's:
1. Dead in the middle of the city (personally a bad thing).
2. Course seems more political and historical based which I'm not too keen on lol.
3. Far from the sea / coast.
4. Slightly further from my home.

From this information, and past experiences / knowledge you may have, which would you recommend? I should probably attend open days to truly know, but that's easier said than done. I've never been so torn and indecisive in my life. My heart says UEA but my head says Sheffield.
Help!!
Original post by user0471711
*My offer for Sheffield was Japanese Studies & UEA was for Translation, Media & Japanese (both with a year abroad)

For 3-4 months, I've been absolutely set on UEA. They were the first to give me an offer, and I honestly believed it'd be my only offer... Until yesterday when I was given a place at Sheffield... Didn't expect it but now I'm confused. Where should I go?

PERSONAL PRO'S & CON'S

UEA pro's:
1. It's in the countryside (which I prefer).
2. The course fits my interests a bit better.
3. It's slightly closer to where I live, and it's the next town from some of my relatives.
4. Seems better at admin (in terms of time it takes to hear a responding email).

Sheffield pro's:
1. Russell group uni + Japanese / EA department is one of the oldest and most developed in the UK.
2. One of the best student unions nationally.
3. Better accommodation options.
4. More year abroad options / international connections.

UEA con's:
1. Not that many viable accommodation options.
2. Dreary buildings & campus.
3. Not much representation for the Uni (aka I had never heard of the Uni until I did an extensive google search).
4. Huge staff and budget cuts impacting student experience.

Sheffield con's:
1. Dead in the middle of the city (personally a bad thing).
2. Course seems more political and historical based which I'm not too keen on lol.
3. Far from the sea / coast.
4. Slightly further from my home.

From this information, and past experiences / knowledge you may have, which would you recommend? I should probably attend open days to truly know, but that's easier said than done. I've never been so torn and indecisive in my life. My heart says UEA but my head says Sheffield.
Help!!
Hi,

Congratulations on getting your offers.

I am in my third year studying at the University of Sheffield. I have really enjoyed my time here and am very happy with my decision to study in Sheffield.

Whilst at Uni, your course is very important, it's what you will need to be able to focus on for 3 years (or more) and the more effort you are able to put in the more likely you are to do well.

Sheffield is a very green city with lots of parks, including the botanical gardens and the winter gardens. The city is also on the edge of the Peak District, which is just a bus ride away. So, whilst the university is in a city centre, it is easy to get away and relax. Many of my friends will go to the Peak District at the weekend and go for a walk, have a picnic or visit the smaller villages.

If you want to talk to more current Sheffield students without attending an open day, there is a chat to us function https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

Also, you have time to make your decision, so don't panic about being indecisive, most people find it hard to chose.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending