The Student Room Group

Medicine Entry 2024 - Re-applicant advice

Hi,

Just need some advice from experienced members here for my son who is going to re-apply this year for 2024 entry.

Last year applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Leicester and Aston with predicted grades of A*AA. UCAT 2820 Band 2. Only had interview with Manchester which was not successful. Leicester offered to re-interview after actual result if able to get AAA or A*AB. Unfortunately, he got ABB (Chem, Bio, Math). We found out that he missed A in Bio with one mark. Applied for re-marking and gained 5 marks, so grades changed to A in Bio as well. Hence, final grades are AAB (Chem, Bio, Maths). Obviously, did not have interview in clearing.

Repeated UCAT this year and scored:
VR 660
DM 680
QR 900
AR 700
Total: 2940
SJT Band 2.

His GCSE Scores were (9,8,8,8,8,8,7,7,7,6):

Chem 9
Bio 8
Physics 8
French 8
DT 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
Eng 7
Eng Lit 7
Arts 6

A Level grades achieved:
Chem A
Bio A
Maths B

I know it would probably be difficult, but if anyone could guide please:

1. Any chances with AAB and current UCAT score? If so, which universities we should apply? (which unis give more weightage to UCAT?). We don't qualify for "widening participation" etc.

2. If he re-sits A levels Maths only and secure A or A*, any chances if some Unis will consider shortlisting?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Kind regards.
Original post by M.S.R
Hi,

Just need some advice from experienced members here for my son who is going to re-apply this year for 2024 entry.

Last year applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Leicester and Aston with predicted grades of A*AA. UCAT 2820 Band 2. Only had interview with Manchester which was not successful. Leicester offered to re-interview after actual result if able to get AAA or A*AB. Unfortunately, he got ABB (Chem, Bio, Math). We found out that he missed A in Bio with one mark. Applied for re-marking and gained 5 marks, so grades changed to A in Bio as well. Hence, final grades are AAB (Chem, Bio, Maths). Obviously, did not have interview in clearing.

VR 660
DM 680
QR 900
AR 700
SJT Band 2.

Chem 9
Bio 8
Physics 8
French 8
DT 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
Eng 7
Eng Lit 7
Arts 6

A Level grades achieved:
Chem A
Bio A
Maths B

1. Any chances with AAB and current UCAT score? If so, which universities we should apply? (which unis give more weightage to UCAT?). We don't qualify for "widening participation" etc.

2. If he re-sits A levels Maths only and secure A or A*, any chances if some Unis will consider shortlisting?

Kind regards.

Best bet is to resit the B, so check which medical schools require resits as not all do and some only allow them in exentuating circumstances. For one i know Sheffield allow resits. Regarding which medical schools accept AAB check whether he is eligible for contextual offers at any unis

I would suggest posting these stats in the which medical school should I apply to thread

Good luck
Original post by M.S.R
Hi,

VR 660
DM 680
QR 900
AR 700
SJT Band 2.

Chem 9
Bio 8
Physics 8
French 8
DT 8
Geography 8
Maths 7
Eng 7
Eng Lit 7
Arts 6

A Level grades achieved:
Chem A
Bio A
Maths B

Kind regards.

His score for Aston last yr was 30.5 this year it’s 31. Cutoff was 31.5 and should come down to 30.5/31. Worth applying again if he really liked it
Aru
Maybe Bristol cutoff was 2910 so close but could be ok
Uea
Manchester
Soton
Sheffield
Original post by Chi chi5
His score for Aston last yr was 30.5 this year it’s 31. Cutoff was 31.5 and should come down to 30.5/31. Worth applying again if he really liked it
Aru
Maybe Bristol cutoff was 2910 so close but could be ok
Uea
Manchester
Soton
Sheffield

Would them unis accept AAB?
Original post by B7861
Would them unis accept AAB?

The only uni to accept aab non wp at face value for home students is kmms

Brunel if intl and bucks but they’d pay full fees

Edit: as first sit

Op would need to resit the maths grade which I think they are going to do!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending