The Student Room Group

Stressed about Body Image at Uni

What the title says. I have a larger frame than the average person and a weird body type and I'm not the prettiest and I'm really worried about not being able to make friends/get a boyfriend because of my appearance. I'm considering taking a gap year just to lose weight and save up for plastic surgery. I don't really want reassurance, just advice on how to cope etc.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
What the title says. I have a larger frame than the average person and a weird body type and I'm not the prettiest and I'm really worried about not being able to make friends/get a boyfriend because of my appearance. I'm considering taking a gap year just to lose weight and save up for plastic surgery. I don't really want reassurance, just advice on how to cope etc.
Hi,

I'm really sorry about the way you feel and I'm sure its a struggle. I will give you some personal advice and hope you take it on. Firstly, if mentally you feel like you could not cope with Uni then take the gap year. Spend that year learning more about yourself as a person. Maybe do some travelling solo or some volunteering work. Continue to socialize and meet new people. The best friends you can have in life will love you for who you are and not what you look like. Do some stuff that will improve self confidence. Ultimately if you are not happy with your body shape then I would recommend following a fitness plan. Find a personal trainer during this gap year and be sure to stick to a good healthy diet. I will say life isn't fair and some may look better than others but you can't let that define you as a person. I know it must be hard but I say work on yourself in all areas of life and I hope you will soon feel much better.

Quick Reply

Latest