The Student Room Group

EPQ Types

I'm currently in y12 and have been introduced to an EPQ, I am certain on doing one for the reduced offers at certain Universities. I'm dead set on doing Computer Science at University and am currently studying A Level Maths, Computer Science and Business. I'm fairly proficient with Python and Java and am confident in my ability to code with the languages, however my writing skills aren't the best (I got a 5-5 in English GCSE). I am looking for a minimum A in the EPQ as that will be enough to lower the offers.

I was wondering if I should do an Dissertation or Artefact, with an Artefact I could code a game and then document the process of creating it and learning the coding for it. For a Dissertation I could write about How AI will change the world for the better or something cool like that, I'm worried that with my English/Writing skills being very average I might struggle with the Dissertation. On the other hand the Artefact will be less writing and more hands on work which will suit me more as I can already code, but I was worrying that an Artefact EPQ is less valued compared to a Dissertation.

I was also wondering if I did do a Artefact would I be marked more on the quality of the code/project I produce or the documentation of it.

Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by skinfade123
I'm currently in y12 and have been introduced to an EPQ, I am certain on doing one for the reduced offers at certain Universities. I'm dead set on doing Computer Science at University and am currently studying A Level Maths, Computer Science and Business. I'm fairly proficient with Python and Java and am confident in my ability to code with the languages, however my writing skills aren't the best (I got a 5-5 in English GCSE). I am looking for a minimum A in the EPQ as that will be enough to lower the offers.
I was wondering if I should do an Dissertation or Artefact, with an Artefact I could code a game and then document the process of creating it and learning the coding for it. For a Dissertation I could write about How AI will change the world for the better or something cool like that, I'm worried that with my English/Writing skills being very average I might struggle with the Dissertation. On the other hand the Artefact will be less writing and more hands on work which will suit me more as I can already code, but I was worrying that an Artefact EPQ is less valued compared to a Dissertation.
I was also wondering if I did do a Artefact would I be marked more on the quality of the code/project I produce or the documentation of it.
Thanks

Both really, but there will be more emphasis on the documentation (like the CS NEA, as you'll soon find out :') ). Make sure that what you code is influcenced by your research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending