The Student Room Group

epq ideas

First of all, how do I go about /doing/ an EPQ? I've never heard of it before today, and it's most likely too late into y13 (y12) for me to start it now, so I'll most likely start it in y14.
I would also like to know if my EPQ ideas are too cliche.
Idea One: The Silver Spoon Ceiling
I'm looking to do law, so this project would essentially examine the gap between female, working class background barristers against the male, privately educated elite barrister (which is where the title comes from--being born with a silver spoon in your mouth means you were born privileged and rich.)

Idea Two: Neutrality in Politics--is it truly possible?
Again, this would also touch on the judiciary, but this would be examining the role of the Speaker of the House, (we've all seen what happened with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, I assume)

so yeah, I kind of need help on starting the epq and choosing an idea :,)
Original post by orb22
First of all, how do I go about /doing/ an EPQ? I've never heard of it before today, and it's most likely too late into y13 (y12) for me to start it now, so I'll most likely start it in y14.
I'm looking to do law, so this project would essentially examine the gap between female, working class background barristers against the male, privately educated elite barrister (which is where the title comes from--being born with a silver spoon in your mouth means you were born privileged and rich.)

Again, this would also touch on the judiciary, but this would be examining the role of the Speaker of the House, (we've all seen what happened with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, I assume)

hey!! your initial 2 ideas would make a great EPQ, maybe do a little bit more research into both and then choose the topic with more of a debate :smile:
basically the EPQ has a couple of key components:

production log - basically a record of your planning, research and writing process

source analysis table - helps with critical analysis for AO2 marks

the actual essay

presentation - to a group of classmates, friends etc and your teacher

Does your school have a teacher who is specifically in charge of EPQ? if yes, get in touch with them and they should be able to help start you on the right track.
Also, you will need a teacher to act as your supervisor - basically to give you feedback and present your research to etc - your supervisor tends to be a teacher who doesn't teach the subject that your EPQ most closely ties to (so, in your case, not a history/politics teacher). for example, my supervisor is a PE teacher.
good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by erin11
Original post by orb22

hey!! your initial 2 ideas would make a great EPQ, maybe do a little bit more research into both and then choose the topic with more of a debate :smile:

production log - basically a record of your planning, research and writing process

the actual essay

Does your school have a teacher who is specifically in charge of EPQ? if yes, get in touch with them and they should be able to help start you on the right track.
Also, you will need a teacher to act as your supervisor - basically to give you feedback and present your research to etc - your supervisor tends to be a teacher who doesn't teach the subject that your EPQ most closely ties to (so, in your case, not a history/politics teacher). for example, my supervisor is a PE teacher.
good luck!

thank you!!
I definitely will ask my form teacher if there's a specific epq teacher in the school because they literally don't tell us anything
But is there any websites that you recommend to learn more abt epqs?
Original post by orb22

the actual essay

good luck!

thank you!!
I definitely will ask my form teacher if there's a specific epq teacher in the school because they literally don't tell us anything
But is there any websites that you recommend to learn more abt epqs?do you know which exam board you are doing for EPQ?
All exam boards generally follow pretty much the same content/outline/structure tbh so not to big a deal if you don't know yet!
here is a course on future learn by the University of Bath which may be a useful starting point to get to grips with the EPQ - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success
AQA EPQ specification - https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP-19.PDF
YouTube video which outlines the production log - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzfyOZstDis
Pearson exemplar dissertation - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Project-Qualification/Level-3/2010/Coursework-materials/exemplar-dissertation.pdf
Reply 4
Thank you so much again!
The more I look into it the more I realise it may just not really be common with Northern Irish students, but I can still do it hehehe
I'll look at all these sources!
Original post by orb22
Thank you so much again!
The more I look into it the more I realise it may just not really be common with Northern Irish students, but I can still do it hehehe
I'll look at all these sources!
not a problem!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending