The Student Room Group

EPQ - my dilemma

Hi guys,
Basically I’m doing my alevels and am studying biology, chemistry and math. I’m aiming for A* and A and I really want to go to places like Imperial , Kings , Oxbridge etc.

Is doing an epq truly worth it ? There are competitions like the chemistry challenge and essay competitions that I’m considering applying for instead and I’m already doing knitting , badminton and the college magazine. I’m also applying for work experience and doing volunteering and applying for courses etc.

However , an epq would increase my ucas points and that’s a plus if I end up needing to study abroad cuz I don’t get into the British uni I want :frown: it’s also a good thing as it gives me something to talk about in interviews that I’m fully prepared for.

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by AaAhAh
Hi guys,
Basically I’m doing my alevels and am studying biology, chemistry and math. I’m aiming for A* and A and I really want to go to places like Imperial , Kings , Oxbridge etc.

Is doing an epq truly worth it ? There are competitions like the chemistry challenge and essay competitions that I’m considering applying for instead and I’m already doing knitting , badminton and the college magazine. I’m also applying for work experience and doing volunteering and applying for courses etc.

However , an epq would increase my ucas points and that’s a plus if I end up needing to study abroad cuz I don’t get into the British uni I want :frown: it’s also a good thing as it gives me something to talk about in interviews that I’m fully prepared for.

What do you guys think?

Which degree?
Reply 2
Original post by AaAhAh
Hi guys,

What do you guys think?

This sounds like you are already heavily involved in various extracurricular activities and competitions, which is very impressive. An EPQ can undeniably boost your UCAS points and offer an exceptional talking point in interviews. However, it's important to consider your priorities and workload. If you can manage it without potentially overwhelming yourself, it might be worth pursuing. If need be, feel free to reach out to me for more assistance or further advice.
Good luck mate!
Original post by AaAhAh
Hi guys,

What do you guys think?

Hey I can see from your posts that you are aiming for med? As a previous med applicant the EPQ is definitely worth it. At my school, they made the EPQ mandatory. From all my fellow med friends, the EPQ was invaluable in that you can add it to your personal statement, discuss it during interviews, and for some, it lowered their offer requirement. Having an EPQ to talk about during interviews was truly useful. It highlights your interest in the field and shows your willingness to take on self-learning. Doing research for my EPQ has also helped me to better understand current issues in medicine and what steps are being taken to tackle such issues. Believe it or not I initially viewed the EPQ as a chore having to study for both the UCAT and BMAT, not to mention the added pressure of predicted grades. However, the great thing about doing it was that it made me more organized and productive in the long run. I decided to dedicate 15 minutes everyday on the EPQ and looked at it as interview prep (at least for the research bit). The EPQ also turned out to be one relaxing piece of work I could turn to whenever I felt the pressure starting to get to me. It became a passion project that motivated me to keep going in school and persevere through the UCAT and BMAT. Having said this, the EPQ did take a big chunk of my time during the summer of year 12. With work experience, writing my personal statement, UCAT revision, and writing the first draft of my essay, it was certainly no easy task. With this I encourage you to do what you think is best for you. The EPQ certainly is not mandatory but based on personal experience and I can speak on behalf of my other friends who got places at Oxbridge and Imperial for med, the EPQ certainly has its benefits and is an easy A* (almost all of us who did an EPQ revolving around med got a perfect score). Hope this helps!
How good is your school at supporting EPQs?

As an academic (and parent) I am a fan of EPQ, they teach you useful skills for Uni, can broaden your horizons and do give you something to talk about

The school of my eldest daughter were 'okay' with EPQ, one teacher didn't have a clue about the log and other aspects of the assessment. I had to sit down with the marking grid and my daughter, and we made a plan of how all the assessment elements would be met - she got an A* despite the teachers

The (different) school of my youngest daughter is worse. Last year the highest mark was a C but most of the folks that started EPQ had dropped out long before then because they had no idea what was expected of them. My daughter has refused to do an EPQ because she thinks her work might be worth an A/A* but will get a lower mark because of the clueless teachers marking it
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree?

Sorry medicine , I forgot to mention that
Reply 6
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey I can see from your posts that you are aiming for med? As a previous med applicant the EPQ is definitely worth it. At my school, they made the EPQ mandatory. From all my fellow med friends, the EPQ was invaluable in that you can add it to your personal statement, discuss it during interviews, and for some, it lowered their offer requirement. Having an EPQ to talk about during interviews was truly useful. It highlights your interest in the field and shows your willingness to take on self-learning. Doing research for my EPQ has also helped me to better understand current issues in medicine and what steps are being taken to tackle such issues. Believe it or not I initially viewed the EPQ as a chore having to study for both the UCAT and BMAT, not to mention the added pressure of predicted grades. However, the great thing about doing it was that it made me more organized and productive in the long run. I decided to dedicate 15 minutes everyday on the EPQ and looked at it as interview prep (at least for the research bit). The EPQ also turned out to be one relaxing piece of work I could turn to whenever I felt the pressure starting to get to me. It became a passion project that motivated me to keep going in school and persevere through the UCAT and BMAT. Having said this, the EPQ did take a big chunk of my time during the summer of year 12. With work experience, writing my personal statement, UCAT revision, and writing the first draft of my essay, it was certainly no easy task. With this I encourage you to do what you think is best for you. The EPQ certainly is not mandatory but based on personal experience and I can speak on behalf of my other friends who got places at Oxbridge and Imperial for med, the EPQ certainly has its benefits and is an easy A* (almost all of us who did an EPQ revolving around med got a perfect score). Hope this helps!

THIS REALLY HELPS ! thank you so much . I’ve decided I’m going to do an epq. wish me luck ~
Reply 7
Original post by ChiefBrody
How good is your school at supporting EPQs?

As an academic (and parent) I am a fan of EPQ, they teach you useful skills for Uni, can broaden your horizons and do give you something to talk about

The school of my eldest daughter were 'okay' with EPQ, one teacher didn't have a clue about the log and other aspects of the assessment. I had to sit down with the marking grid and my daughter, and we made a plan of how all the assessment elements would be met - she got an A* despite the teachers

The (different) school of my youngest daughter is worse. Last year the highest mark was a C but most of the folks that started EPQ had dropped out long before then because they had no idea what was expected of them. My daughter has refused to do an EPQ because she thinks her work might be worth an A/A* but will get a lower mark because of the clueless teachers marking it

Thank you for this. It’s a big encouragement :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Tuwendy
This sounds like you are already heavily involved in various extracurricular activities and competitions, which is very impressive. An EPQ can undeniably boost your UCAS points and offer an exceptional talking point in interviews. However, it's important to consider your priorities and workload. If you can manage it without potentially overwhelming yourself, it might be worth pursuing. If need be, feel free to reach out to me for more assistance or further advice.
Good luck mate!

Thank you very much :smile: I’ve decided I’m going to pursue it as I only have two years of a levels and I’d like to keep myself busy. I’ll be sure to manage time well and will come back if I need any help
Reply 9
Original post by Tulipbloom

Also, what topics do u recommend for an epq ? I’m considering investigating cardiac surgery and it’s origins but I would appreciate any ideas :smile:
Original post by AaAhAh
Sorry medicine , I forgot to mention that

Yes an EPQ is a good idea - UCAS points are irrelevant for medicine though. It's useful as it will teach you skills you'll need.

I wouldn't apply to Imperial for medicine or any degree - it's toxic.
Original post by AaAhAh
Also, what topics do u recommend for an epq ? I’m considering investigating cardiac surgery and it’s origins but I would appreciate any ideas :smile:

Hey I actually did my EPQ on cardiology. Particularly for med its good to choose a current topic to ensure its relevance in the field and it gives you a chance to use old outdated resources which might still be relevant (you must evaluate and onlt use the info you find useful) and explore newly published research (highlighting the dynamic nature of medicine which may pose as a challenge, one you can present later when reflecting). If you want to investigate cardiac surgery and its origins this is a good starting point. The big thing about the EPQ is they want to see how your thought process evolves over time. So if you start with researching general cardiac surgery, you will be exposed to different aspects of it and eventually find a specific aspect of it that you may want to further research. For me it was with how cardiac surgery is changing (focused on heart disease) and then I chose to focus on a specific type of heart transplant for people with heart disease that has recently come to popularity (but violates many ethical beliefs). You want to include your opinions as much as possible and this is when choosing a question where there is no wrong or right answer exists (to what extent....). In a way you are making a prediction given the research you have done. This allows you to search the likelihood of something being true or not and make your own assumption. It also shows how you have used skills gained in the EPQ to aid you in addressing the answer in the form of an essay. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest