The Student Room Group

I want to change my epq

Guys is it too late to change my EPQ now? (nearly april). The deadline is in september. I am meant to have a lot of research (like 35 pieces) but i only have 6 lol because i just haven’t been doing it so i feel like changing my topic wouldn’t have that much harm right? please let me know if you know anyone who has changed it
Original post by re2y347
Guys is it too late to change my EPQ now? (nearly april). The deadline is in september. I am meant to have a lot of research (like 35 pieces) but i only have 6 lol because i just haven’t been doing it so i feel like changing my topic wouldn’t have that much harm right? please let me know if you know anyone who has changed it

Hi!
I think that every school runs the EPQ differently, so it really depends on the timeline that you are on. My school ran the EPQ from December of Year 12 through to December of Year 13, but I barely touched my work until the summer holidays. I used those holidays between Year 12 and Year 13 to do the vast majority of the work on my project, including most of the research and the actual writing of the essay (if you're doing an artefact, you might have a different experience). It was definitely a stretch to do it in a shorter time span, but it was possible!
I would say that you have to really consider when you will be able to get all of the work done, and start setting aside time in the summer holidays. When I did mine it was a bit miserable to be at home working all day, but I knew that that was my only chance to actually get the project done. If what you're doing at the moment just doesn't motivate you, then switching topics might be the best option, but make sure that you are willing to do all of the catch up work!
Good luck!
I changed my title not long before it had to be in, but mine was in three sections and it only affected the third section (my question was too open/unanswerable and I wanted to have two sides to argue). Do you have a new title in mind? If so and you think you'll be more motivated with the new title then do - you could always record it all and justify the change in direction - come up with 3 or 4 reasons why you changed.

On the other hand if you have no idea of a new title just aren't sure you want to do this one, then i would stick with it. You chose it for a reason and you just need to put the effort in. 35 pieces of research is an awful lot though - not sure I had that many and I got 49 out of 50. Get on Google scholar and see what you can find. See if there are any websites you can use. I also bought a few relevant books secondhand from ebay.

What is your current title and what are you thinking of changing it to (if you have a new title)?
Reply 3
i changed my epq 2 months before it was due and it wasn't an issue for me to find 40 sources once i got into writing it
Reply 4
Original post by Jakson123
I changed my title not long before it had to be in, but mine was in three sections and it only affected the third section (my question was too open/unanswerable and I wanted to have two sides to argue). Do you have a new title in mind? If so and you think you'll be more motivated with the new title then do - you could always record it all and justify the change in direction - come up with 3 or 4 reasons why you changed.
On the other hand if you have no idea of a new title just aren't sure you want to do this one, then i would stick with it. You chose it for a reason and you just need to put the effort in. 35 pieces of research is an awful lot though - not sure I had that many and I got 49 out of 50. Get on Google scholar and see what you can find. See if there are any websites you can use. I also bought a few relevant books secondhand from ebay.
What is your current title and what are you thinking of changing it to (if you have a new title)?

i am doing an artefact on making a booklet of piano songs but i want to change it to making a documentary about nutrition
Reply 5
Original post by 97059646
i changed my epq 2 months before it was due and it wasn't an issue for me to find 40 sources once i got into writing it

did you talk to your supervisor and what did they say? because i have to wait until the easter break is over to ask mine
Reply 6
Original post by re2y347
did you talk to your supervisor and what did they say? because i have to wait until the easter break is over to ask mine

i gathered most of my sources it only took me a few days and then went to him and told him that i wanted to change it. he said that it wasn't really an issue , i think already having most of the sources i would use made him more readily trust that it was possible.
Reply 7
i gathered most of my sources it only took me a few days and then went to him and told him that i wanted to change it. he said that it wasn't really an issue , i think already having most of the sources i would use made him more readily trust that it was possible.

oh okay i think i’m going to dedicate some time to getting some sources for this and if my supervisor says no to changing it then it is what it is and i’ll continue from my previous one. it’s something i enjoy researching anyways but how do i go about my old things like my skills tracker, diary/log etc
Reply 8
Original post by re2y347
oh okay i think i’m going to dedicate some time to getting some sources for this and if my supervisor says no to changing it then it is what it is and i’ll continue from my previous one. it’s something i enjoy researching anyways but how do i go about my old things like my skills tracker, diary/log etc

with my skills tracker i did my mid project review super late and i just put a few sentences at the beginning of the review saying 'from the date that I completed my initial project review and my mid-project review, I made the decision to change the subject of my EPQ. (then i explained why i made this decision) (then i explained that this affected the timeline of events i had initially planned out in my first review because i had to gather new sources which set me back a few weeks and so on...) I created a new and amended timeline, taking this subject change into consideration.' and then i just wrote out my new timeline / order of events and said whether i achieved them or not if that makes sense
Reply 9
with my skills tracker i did my mid project review super late and i just put a few sentences at the beginning of the review saying 'from the date that I completed my initial project review and my mid-project review, I made the decision to change the subject of my EPQ. (then i explained why i made this decision) (then i explained that this affected the timeline of events i had initially planned out in my first review because i had to gather new sources which set me back a few weeks and so on...) I created a new and amended timeline, taking this subject change into consideration.' and then i just wrote out my new timeline / order of events and said whether i achieved them or not if that makes sense

thank you so much! if you don’t mind what did you grade did u achieve in epq, u don’t have to say if you don’t want to but thank you so so much honestly
Original post by re2y347
thank you so much! if you don’t mind what did you grade did u achieve in epq, u don’t have to say if you don’t want to but thank you so so much honestly

that's no worries!! i actually got an A!! i'm really glad that i decided to change what i was doing , it was so much Easier to do the work when it was something i was interested in!! i hope that it all works out for u😊
Yes i think you should change it then. Get your sources together as much as possible and do a table to talk about how reliable each one is and why. Have you done a Gantt chart? They love a Gantt chart for some reason and they're pretty easy to do so you can do one to plan your new time line - it's a new IT skill so that's a plus as they want to see you gaining new skills.
Also communicating with whoever is running your EPQ is important and so you can put in that this was discussed with your teacher and what they thought about it. In your final evaluation of the project you will have lots to write about - you can talk about changing and the impact it had on your project, whether it was the right decision in the end and whether you would make the same decision again, what you would do differently in the future to avoid making the same mistake etc.
It's actually good to have some things go wrong as evaluating is a big part of it and if everything goes perfectly then there's not much to say.
Reply 12
Original post by Jakson123
Yes i think you should change it then. Get your sources together as much as possible and do a table to talk about how reliable each one is and why. Have you done a Gantt chart? They love a Gantt chart for some reason and they're pretty easy to do so you can do one to plan your new time line - it's a new IT skill so that's a plus as they want to see you gaining new skills.
Also communicating with whoever is running your EPQ is important and so you can put in that this was discussed with your teacher and what they thought about it. In your final evaluation of the project you will have lots to write about - you can talk about changing and the impact it had on your project, whether it was the right decision in the end and whether you would make the same decision again, what you would do differently in the future to avoid making the same mistake etc.
It's actually good to have some things go wrong as evaluating is a big part of it and if everything goes perfectly then there's not much to say.

yes i have started making a Gantt chart (but i personalised and changed it up a bit i don’t know if it’s still considered a gantt chart lol), and i’ll only be able to speak to my supervisor in two weeks so i guess i’m just going to gather some sources and see how it goes when i do speak to them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending