The Student Room Group

Referencing

Hi all,

I’m currently doing a project management degree apprenticeship and i’m on my 3rd module of my first year.

I’ve been tasked to write a 3k word written report relating to a specific scenario.

I can’t get my head around referencing, I referenced in my previous written essay but that was a reflection so it was pretty easy.

In a written report can I give my own opinion (in the 3rd person) and then find something similar from a book to back it up?

I feel like everything i’m writing so far isn’t my own work and I think that’s because I’m trying to be really cute and find very specific references.

Any advice will be highly appreciated 😁
Heya, it took me a while to get my head around referencing when I was at uni, so I feel you! The way I normally wrote my essays was the other way round to how you've described it above - I'd (skim) read texts and summarise the main points in my notes then if those supported my argument, I would then cite them in my essay. It depends on the requirements for the essay/ report - if in doubt I'm sure your tutor would be very happy to clarify - about how much of your own opinion you should build in. My holy grail for referencing was Cite Them Right - your uni should have a subscription to this and it explains exactly when and how to reference. Good luck with the report!
Original post by ypatz17
Hi all,
I’m currently doing a project management degree apprenticeship and i’m on my 3rd module of my first year.
I’ve been tasked to write a 3k word written report relating to a specific scenario.
I can’t get my head around referencing, I referenced in my previous written essay but that was a reflection so it was pretty easy.
In a written report can I give my own opinion (in the 3rd person) and then find something similar from a book to back it up?
I feel like everything i’m writing so far isn’t my own work and I think that’s because I’m trying to be really cute and find very specific references.
Hi there,

I know referencing can certainly be quite confusing, I found this to be the case when I was in first year as well. I think the style of writing would largely depend on what you are writing, I have not written a report before, so I cannot say for sure.

In this case, I would recommend even looking at your subject guide, or module guide for any guidance. Alternatively, some seminar leaders will be happy to discuss or clarify some issues regarding the project.
Not sure if this is totally applicable, but when writing an argumentative piece, I sometimes do my research and obtain the main points, and use these to support my own, original argument. However, I would think it is best to clarify this with your seminar leader, because I am not studying project management, and I imagine the marking scheme will be quite different.

Sometimes it may be hard to find specific references that match your view exactly, however there may be some sources that link to it and may support your argument even if it's just part of it.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep
Original post by ypatz17
Hi all,
Hello there,

I've completed several assessments in my business degree program, including business reports that varied in their focus and requirements. For instance, in the performance management module, the emphasis was on analyzing scholarly perspectives to identify best practices for measuring performance. I then applied these insights to a specific company, comparing its practices to theoretical frameworks and offering recommendations based on the literature.

Conversely, in another module, the approach was entirely different. I was tasked with presenting factual information without incorporating personal perspectives. The objective was to portray events or circumstances accurately without interpretation or analysis. This required thorough research and reliance on credible sources to support every assertion made in the report.

While some reports allow for personal analysis and interpretation, others demand a strictly factual presentation. Adhering to these requirements ensures that the reports fulfil their intended purposes and meet the expectations of the assignments. Please feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance!

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Management).
Reply 4
Original post by ypatz17
Hi all,
Hey I’ve got my ac for project management for Amazon tmro
Any interview tips and insight into what questions they’ll ask will be much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending