The Student Room Group

Struggling at uni due to mental health

Hello,

I’m a uni student and I’m really struggling to get good grades. I have depression and anxiety so my stress levels rise a lot during exam season and it causes me to lose sleep. An assignment I recently did, I didn’t sleep for 3 days. Every time I try to fall asleep it feels like I’m about to have a heart attack. I can’t cope at university because of it and it’s really taking a toll on my grades. I’m scared that my grades will ruin my entire life because of something I can’t control. I always try my best during assignments and give myself time to do them, but I always make stupid mistakes because I’m exhausted.

I want to reach out for help but when I spoke to my university, they only gave me breathing exercises to help. But they didn’t help it just made things worse. I can’t qualify for extra time during assignments because apparently I don’t suit the criteria fully.

I really don’t know what to do and I’m panicking even thinking about it. Every time I think about the essay I sent in yesterday it sent me into a spiral where I try to punish myself by not eating to force myself to cope. Im scared that im ruining my life because my grades will define me for the rest of my life. The only thing I care about is academic validation and if I don’t have that. I have nothing.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello,
I’m a uni student and I’m really struggling to get good grades. I have depression and anxiety so my stress levels rise a lot during exam season and it causes me to lose sleep. An assignment I recently did, I didn’t sleep for 3 days. Every time I try to fall asleep it feels like I’m about to have a heart attack. I can’t cope at university because of it and it’s really taking a toll on my grades. I’m scared that my grades will ruin my entire life because of something I can’t control. I always try my best during assignments and give myself time to do them, but I always make stupid mistakes because I’m exhausted.
I want to reach out for help but when I spoke to my university, they only gave me breathing exercises to help. But they didn’t help it just made things worse. I can’t qualify for extra time during assignments because apparently I don’t suit the criteria fully.
I really don’t know what to do and I’m panicking even thinking about it. Every time I think about the essay I sent in yesterday it sent me into a spiral where I try to punish myself by not eating to force myself to cope. Im scared that im ruining my life because my grades will define me for the rest of my life. The only thing I care about is academic validation and if I don’t have that. I have nothing.

It is best to speak to your GP regarding your mental health. It may be useful if you try to contact support services, a university counsellor.

There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-Relate, they have a chat advisor

-Mental Health 24/7: 0800 008 6516

-hubofhope website, useful contact information for your local area

You can self refer yourself to talking therapies on the NHS website.

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello,
Do you do drama?
Hey, so sorry for your condition. I would recommend that you should take some rest and ask an educational counselor who not only guides you but also completes your assignment. It would be better to relax at this time. And let me know I'll recommend you one who can get you out of your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest