The Student Room Group

Who regrets the outcome of Brexit??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talkative Toad
If you voted leave, I pretty much have no sympathy for you.
Remainers warned about the consequences of leaving the EU and saw that the government was spreading lies but were dismissed as project fear. Should’ve listened to us, you didn’t and have now put the UK (even those with EU citizenship) in this mess. 🫵🏾☠️
I mean if brexit was done right, it wouldn't have done that much bad. i myself voted remain however who knew how much the government would **** things up.
I’m rather tired of the Goldilocks version of Brexit which is permanently just out of reach because it isn’t being done exactly right.
Original post by jacksmith23
I mean if brexit was done right, it wouldn't have done that much bad. i myself voted remain however who knew how much the government would **** things up.

I find that hard to believe re the first sentence. Yeah the government was bad.
The biggest case of self euthanasia a country has ever done to itself. If we wait about 10 years the vast majority of old racist halfwits that voted for it will be gone anyway. Vote to rejoin at that point.
Original post by imlikeahermit
The biggest case of self euthanasia a country has ever done to itself. If we wait about 10 years the vast majority of old racist halfwits that voted for it will be gone anyway. Vote to rejoin at that point.

Not that simple though. We will have to rejoin in the euro to our detriment. Instead of the deal we had before. And there is the customs union single market option. But knowing the UK these days, we will **** it up. Maybe we'll just end up losing significant sovereignty, Europe can probably govern us better than we can.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Not that simple though. We will have to rejoin in the euro to our detriment. Instead of the deal we had before. And there is the customs union single market option. But knowing the UK these days, we will **** it up. Maybe we'll just end up losing significant sovereignty, Europe can probably govern us better than we can.
When I go on holiday I use the Euro and it hasn't killed me yet. Comparable economies like France and Germany seem to manage fine with it. I'm really not sure what the problem with adopting the Euro as part of a Rejoin deal is?
Original post by 2WheelGod
When I go on holiday I use the Euro and it hasn't killed me yet. Comparable economies like France and Germany seem to manage fine with it. I'm really not sure what the problem with adopting the Euro as part of a Rejoin deal is?

Joining the Euro would effectively mean we lose control of our monetary policy. It is why I’m pleased Britain never joined.

Although I have no idea where the belief that rejoining the EU would be contingent on us joining the Euro originated from. There is currently no pathway for us to rejoin so issues like this would have be negotiated if the situation did arise.
Reply 27
What do you mean done right? Had we had a hard exit it would have been utterly tragic. One of the reasons manufacturing companies in the UK are struggling right now as cited on the Today programme this morning is because they have invested massively in just-in-time ordering systems based on free movement of goods to and from the EU. Except now they no longer have the same freedom with goods getting stuck in customs. Had we had no deal at all, it is fair to suggest that these companies would have gone pop because there was no alternative.

We had an amazing deal with the EU. The very best gold standard deal. And now we don't have that deal but very much a third rate one. Nor do we have the oven baked deal with the US, but equally nor do we. Do you really want to eat chemical pumped food from the US or see the cost of drugs and healthcare rocket as US companies get their teeth stuck into our NHS? Honestly?

There has been absolutely no positives and never were to come from Brexit. It was about a feeling in some about being ruler of the waves again. It was about sovereignty and that feeling of identity. But sovereignty and identity doesn't pay the bills and as a country we are really feeling that now. We are small fodder in a growing world and the vultures of foreign interests see us as easy picking now we no longer hang out with the big boys of the EU. When Trump gets in we are stuffed because that special relationship will count for nothing.
I wasn't even old enough to vote in the referendum! I know its probably not going to happen, but personally I favour rejoining the EU
Reply 29
Original post by Gazpacho.
Joining the Euro would effectively mean we lose control of our monetary policy. It is why I’m pleased Britain never joined.
Although I have no idea where the belief that rejoining the EU would be contingent on us joining the Euro originated from. There is currently no pathway for us to rejoin so issues like this would have be negotiated if the situation did arise.
Indeed - but you are assuming the British government has some sort of control over our currency in the first place. Firstly, the Bank of England and rate setting is independent of the government and secondly, outside interests have massively larger impacts on the pound as Liz Truss found out to her cost.

If the EU or US or even China decided to turn hostile to the UK, financially, they could sink us through various policy decisions in the bat of an eye and there is pretty much nothing we could do. Trying to take on the EU as a whole? That is a whole different ball game. Except the EU hasn't got our back any more like they used to.
Original post by hotpud
Indeed - but you are assuming the British government has some sort of control over our currency in the first place. Firstly, the Bank of England and rate setting is independent of the government and secondly, outside interests have massively larger impacts on the pound as Liz Truss found out to her cost.
If the EU or US or even China decided to turn hostile to the UK, financially, they could sink us through various policy decisions in the bat of an eye and there is pretty much nothing we could do. Trying to take on the EU as a whole? That is a whole different ball game. Except the EU hasn't got our back any more like they used to.

I'm not assuming. I'm fully aware of how monetary policy operates in the UK. I know you think you are educating me here, but you are repeating something basic I was literally taught at school.
(edited 1 month ago)
(So what do we do with the single loyalist outlier? )
Reply 32
I'm not assuming. I'm fully aware of how monetary policy operates in the UK. I know you think you are educating me here, but you are repeating something basic I was literally taught at school.
Ok. So joining the EU means we lose some control. Given the benefits of being in the EU is that not a price worth paying. I genuinely trust the diversity of the EU way more than the decisiveness and self interests of our current government. If there is one thing the EU is excellent at it is compromise so most people win out most of the time.

Our current government only has the interests of the wealthy elite by contrast.
I thought it a mistake the day the result was announced and nothing has changed my view since.
Original post by hotpud
What do you mean done right? Had we had a hard exit it would have been utterly tragic. One of the reasons manufacturing companies in the UK are struggling right now as cited on the Today programme this morning is because they have invested massively in just-in-time ordering systems based on free movement of goods to and from the EU. Except now they no longer have the same freedom with goods getting stuck in customs. Had we had no deal at all, it is fair to suggest that these companies would have gone pop because there was no alternative.
We had an amazing deal with the EU. The very best gold standard deal. And now we don't have that deal but very much a third rate one. Nor do we have the oven baked deal with the US, but equally nor do we. Do you really want to eat chemical pumped food from the US or see the cost of drugs and healthcare rocket as US companies get their teeth stuck into our NHS? Honestly?
There has been absolutely no positives and never were to come from Brexit. It was about a feeling in some about being ruler of the waves again. It was about sovereignty and that feeling of identity. But sovereignty and identity doesn't pay the bills and as a country we are really feeling that now. We are small fodder in a growing world and the vultures of foreign interests see us as easy picking now we no longer hang out with the big boys of the EU. When Trump gets in we are stuffed because that special relationship will count for nothing.

this assumes I want a hard Brexit, I never said that. what I said was if brexit was done right, managed properly, perhaps it could have minimised damages, it would have a better outcome then what we have now for sure.

all of these situations you've brought up, such as trading with the USA, and lowering the standards of food with chemicals, these are sure things to worry about, but what makes it different from now. we could still see it be done, we could see the NHS be privatised. we are at a point where the NHS is potentially going to collapse in the next few decades.

some things you still hear brexiteers still parry, and don;t retract unlike the 350 million to the NHS bus.
control over immigration, many believe immigration would be minimised with brexit.
you mention trump but wasn't he the person who was close to signing a trade deal with the UK.
deregulation, many still prefer this, as it means cheaper ways to make products.
edit: the 10 billion a year to the eu was also freed up
like I've said before, if brexit was done right, it would have caused less damage ( implying a softer one with my stance as being remain).
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 35
The basic problem was that the government did not expect the people to vote the way they did. They didn't want Brexit, weren't prepared for it, completely mishandled it, purposely got a bad deal, eventually, so that they could blame everything on those that voted for Brexit. They have basically screwed themselves for the next election. The public are not as gullible as they thought.
Reply 36
this assumes I want a hard Brexit, I never said that. what I said was if brexit was done right, managed properly, perhaps it could have minimised damages, it would have a better outcome then what we have now for sure.
all of these situations you've brought up, such as trading with the USA, and lowering the standards of food with chemicals, these are sure things to worry about, but what makes it different from now. we could still see it be done, we could see the NHS be privatised. we are at a point where the NHS is potentially going to collapse in the next few decades.
some things you still hear brexiteers still parry, and don;t retract unlike the 350 million to the NHS bus.
control over immigration, many believe immigration would be minimised with brexit.
you mention trump but wasn't he the person who was close to signing a trade deal with the UK.
deregulation, many still prefer this, as it means cheaper ways to make products.
edit: the 10 billion a year to the eu was also freed up
like I've said before, if brexit was done right, it would have caused less damage ( implying a softer one with my stance as being remain).

But what is a Brexit done right? To me, the key thing Brexiteers wanted was this mythical idea called sovereignty. The fact that sovereignty might cripple industry and commerce was very much second fiddle - at least it was until prices started rising due to increased red tape.
And you are right that the NHS could be privatised - it already is and the bits of it that have been privatised are making a healthy killing curtesy of our business loving, public fund funnelling Tory government.
As for Trump - no. He was only prepared to sign a deal on his own terms. Thankfully, despite being a weak Prime Minister, even May saw that this would have been political suicide.
And £10 billion to the EU. I think we made much more than that back in free trade and benefits. Plus some of that £10 billion also came back in EU funded projects of which there are many. As so often happens in household expenditure, when you decide to save money that went on a benefit, you rarely ring fence it for the greater good. It just goes into general expenditure and is lost, just as we have seen with the HS2 and levelling up funds. They haven't even been spent!
Why is that necessarily a bad thing? As I said, Germany and France seem to manage fine under the Euro system.
Original post by 2WheelGod
Why is that necessarily a bad thing? As I said, Germany and France seem to manage fine under the Euro system.

Germany does, it's highly arguable France would be better off with the Franc.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Poll attached. Me personally I voted leave got carried away with their rhetoric but it was utter BS. I regret it and we should have kept the deal we had. I wish we still had free movement guaranteed in our future.

Well the Tories interpreted the vote as "The British people really really want more freedom from the EU to decide their own policies" and decided on an open border immigration policy with record migration levels whereas it was of course a vote against globalisation.

I hate the EU. I hate the Tories. Brexit could have been done correctly. It was always going to make us poorer but it would have been worth the cost. Now we have the worst of every world.

Hope the Tories collapse out of existance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending