The Student Room Group

80/100 on HAT, 12A*’s at GCSE, 4A*’s predicted and still rejected

Recently found out my score for the HAT, and I was quite upset at being rejected but now I’m just confused. 80/100 is well above the average offer holder score (70.5) so what else do Oxford want???? Maybe my interview went horribly or…?
Didn't you already have another thread about this? Getting deja vu here! Anyway, I think the gist of the replies in the other thread was that it was probably something in the interview that made them feel you were less likely to suit their university's teaching style than a number of other candidates they were also interviewing for your course option.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Recently found out my score for the HAT, and I was quite upset at being rejected but now I’m just confused. 80/100 is well above the average offer holder score (70.5) so what else do Oxford want???? Maybe my interview went horribly or…?

It’s fine, you are allowed to ask.
I understand when the admissions test score is so strong why the outcome is harder to process or comprehend.
The test seems now to be the crucial score as A levels and GCSE are to some extent influenced by school and socio economics, and the admissions test is designed to be something of a leveller.
Basically, until you receive the feedback you could feel in a state of denial,
so ask for it as soon as possible and talk to a UCAS referee or equivalent at school. If you came close, it could console you. It is natural to feel a bit numb or wounded after meeting the tutors at interview because a rejection then can feel personal.
It isn't that once you have X amount of achievement that means you deserve an offer

It isn't that having an offer makes a person any smarter than someone who doesn't

It is simply that the university is looking for someone they are confident will do well with their style of teaching. In addition, you can't see the profiles of the other candidates and there are only so many spaces.

You aren't responsible for this decision, it isn't because of something you didn't do. At the end of the day they just preferred other candidates. Be proud of what you have achieved so far, and now make it your mission to make the university regret their decision by being an excellent human.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending