The Student Room Group

Left University

I studied a Business Degree in London but didn’t complete my final year. I left due to mental health - depression & anxiety. It’s been 6 months since my departure from studies but I’d like to study a business degree again.

However, I’m concerned about whether I can apply for a student loan to pay towards the degree. Can anyone share insight on what I can do?
Original post by Benito27
I studied a Business Degree in London but didn’t complete my final year. I left due to mental health - depression & anxiety. It’s been 6 months since my departure from studies but I’d like to study a business degree again.

However, I’m concerned about whether I can apply for a student loan to pay towards the degree. Can anyone share insight on what I can do?

A student loan covers you for the full length of the course you enroll in, plus one year, less however many years for which you've already received funding.

If you left during your final year, you'll presumably have received three years of funding previously. In which case, if you were to start a new three year course, you'd receive just one year of funding (3 + 1 - 3). Note also that if you were to start a new three year course, then would fund the last year, not the first year.

However, you may not have been planning on starting a new three-year course. Did you receive an exit award, which you might be able to "top-up" into a full honours degree?

Alternatively, you may find that can obtain "credit for prior learning", especially if you rejoin the same university, which may allow you to join in year 2 or (conceivably) year 3.

I suggest you contact you old university and ask about the possibility of rejoining the course you left. Once you know if that's possible, you'll know how many years of study you need, and can then start to think about financing that.

Quick Reply

Latest