The Student Room Group

Pepper spray

Are most British people against the idea of legalising pepper spray?

Scroll to see replies

Yep, no chemical weapons allowed.
Reply 2
Original post by happyman22A
Why do we need to legalise pepper spray?
Reply 4

Judging by this, yes:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/634452
Reply 5

I think it skews the argument somewhat by bringing Sarah Everard into it. She complied because she was confronted by a police officer; she was handcuffed and didn't have the opportunity to use any form of self-defence subsequently.
Original post by Surnia
I think it skews the argument somewhat by bringing Sarah Everard into it. She complied because she was confronted by a police officer; she was handcuffed and didn't have the opportunity to use any form of self-defence subsequently.

My thoughts exactly, why use an example where it would have been very likely completely ineffective. Likewise using US and Russia as examples...

Hope this goes nowhere tbh.
Reply 7
It is taking so long to get to 50,000 and even longer to get to 100,000.
It is taking so long to get to 50,000 and even longer to get to 100,000.

It prob wont tbh if it's taken 3 years to make it this far

The fact it still carelessly lists Sarah Everard as missing and plasters her face on it, and that it doesn't spend even 1 word considering the risks probably stops a lot of people taking it seriously.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
It prob wont tbh if it's taken 3 years to make it this far
The fact it still carelessly lists Sarah Everard as missing and plasters her face on it, and that it doesn't spend even 1 word considering the risks probably stops a lot of people taking it seriously.

Stops alot of people from taking it seriously?
Stops alot of people from taking it seriously?

Yes, It comes across as idealistic and immature rather than reasoned. I wonder if the person who put it up even still actively cares? You'd think if they were still involved they might have updated the information they're relying on, as noted above, pepper spray wouldn't have mattered one bit in Sarah Everards case so feels a bit ignorant to keep using her face etc.
Pepper spray would be legal if not for the courts making it illegal because they felt like it.The same goes for tasers.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Pepper spray would be legal if not for the courts making it illegal because they felt like it.The same goes for tasers.

Pepper spray would also be legal if Parliament decided to legalise it, which is well within its legislative competence. We could play this game all day. To which actions by the courts does your statement reference anyway? Regardless of any case(s) you may have gripes about, I highly doubt any judge in this country would make a decision simply because ‘they felt like it’.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
So this may show that the vast majority of people in England don't want pepper spray legalised
So this may show that the vast majority of people in England don't want pepper spray legalised

Yes/No, these are niche petitions that skew things a bit (only circulated in specific places, no option to vote against, small population sample) so you can't really take it as an indication on how the whole UK feels, but I'm certainly unaware of any strong motive to arm people again.

It's immature because it just doesn't want to address the actual social implications beyond 'I want the thing!', questions I'd want to ask would include

'Who gets to carry it? everyone? are under 18s allowed to defend themselves? can you buy it with a criminal record?'

'Are you permitted to use it before or after an attack occurs?'

'How do you address and control misuse? either being used for mischief, attacks or misunderstandings (how long before someone gets sprayed who doesn't deserve it and escalates into more violence?)

'How would it work in terms of venues and services? would you be allowed to carry such a weapon into say a licenced nightclub? public transport? government & council buildings, schools? - these would all require a huge changes in policies'

Tbh I don't even know effective it is one to one, whenever you see the police use it they still seem to be aware of the need to outnumber and restrain the person, 1 to 1 the person might still grab a hold of you and now be completely enraged. Carrying a weapon of any sort, even an eye irritant might give people a false sense of security to take more risks or not to simply run.
Most people would be against legalizing pepper spray because criminals would start spraying people with it. I have heard that. They could take it off and use it against you.
Are you aware that before gun control came about that it was not illegal to carry a pistol for self defence, you could even carry a knife for self defence?
Who gets to carry it? What about Taser? I do share your views that legalisation might led to more violence and the government is well aware of that.
It may be better to keep the status quo. I want a more peaceful society. Carrying them can create a false sense of security
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Are you aware that before gun control came about that it was not illegal to carry a pistol for self defence, you could even carry a knife for self defence?

Well... yeah? That's what control is. everything was allowed before it wasn't? Arming yourself with gun or blade for self defence has been illegal for a long time, to the point where it's not really relevant.

Is there a point your trying to make about all of this?
Just wondering if you knew that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending