The Student Room Group

The Moon Seen by Earthshine

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/moon_earthshine?stage=a_level
For part a, why is the answer not just 0.3*1370*(2*pi*r_m^2/4*pi*d^2)*0.12
Where r_m = 1737km and d= 384400km.
Did you convert units to keep everything consistant?
Yeah I believe so - I get the answer as 5.0x10^-4 but it still appears to be incorrect.
Reply 3
Original post by mosaurlodon
Yeah I believe so - I get the answer as 5.0x10^-4 but it still appears to be incorrect.
You may be overcomplicating it a bit. The inverse square rule is basically
intensityA / intensityB = distanceB^2 / distanceA^2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Why would the moons radius be involved? If the question simply asked for the flux density reflected off the earth (at the earths surface), what would that be?
(edited 1 month ago)
Thank you I've managed to get the answer now!
For part b, however I employed the same working in part a, but got this:

I just did 0.3x0.12x1370*(r_e^2)/(d^2) - which was the answer in part a - * (r_m^2)/(d^2)
and I dont really know what it means by 'some light is reflected before it reaches the earth' - haven't I accounted for this?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mosaurlodon
Thank you I've managed to get the answer now!
For part b, however I employed the same working in part a, but got this:

I just did 0.3x0.12x1370*(r_e^2)/(d^2) - which was the answer in part a - * (r_m^2)/(d^2)
and I dont really know what it means by 'some light is reflected before it reaches the earth' - haven't I accounted for this?
Right idea for the inverse square, but in part A you use the fact that 0.3 is reflected away from the earth, so in part B, how much will get to the surface?
Ohhh I understand the specific wording they used now.
Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Right idea for the inverse square, but in part A you use the fact that 0.3 is reflected away from the earth, so in part B, how much will get to the surface?

sorry i am confused by what you are saying
basically before it reaches the earth, 30% is reflected so the % that reaches the earth is...

Quick Reply

Latest