The Student Room Group

ELAT 2023 for 2024 entry

Hi guys, gonna sound stupid, but was the question the same as the 2022 question (sleep)? I felt like the extracts weren’t as strongly linked as they have been in previous years and they’ve never repeated the question again…I know there’s been a lot of glitches with the systems and wanted to see if anyone got a different question?
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sleep came up as the theme for me too! I’ve just emailed the university admissions team to ask if there was an accidental repeat from last year, because I really shoe-horned ‘sleep’ into my answer. I think ‘the moon’ might have been the intended theme? I’ll let you know as soon as they email back!
Original post by Clementinecat
Sleep came up as the theme for me too! I’ve just emailed the university admissions team to ask if there was an accidental repeat from last year, because I really shoe-horned ‘sleep’ into my answer. I think ‘the moon’ might have been the intended theme? I’ll let you know as soon as they email back!

This was my thought exactly! I assumed the theme was the ‘Moon’ instead of sleep, as all the extracts had that as a linking theme, and most of them had no relation to sleep.
Reply 3
i thought this! it said sleep but all the passages were about the moon. i assumed it was an error on their part because i tried to link the passages to sleep but gave up and focused on the moon element. you aren’t alone don’t worry
Reply 4

could you post the reply here please? i’m also really curious about this. hopefully if they did mess up then they might give more wiggle room in how they answer because some people will have tried to make it into sleep and others will have ignored it and talked about something else.
This is what they’ve replied to me:

“Sincere apologies for the confusion and any disruption caused by this. There was an error in the test, it should've said 'moon' instead of 'sleep.' Candidates will not be penalised for this as it is an error on this side.”

So it was moon!! Argh!
Reply 6

“Sincere apologies for the confusion and any disruption caused by this. There was an error in the test, it should've said 'moon' instead of 'sleep.' Candidates will not be penalised for this as it is an error on this side.”

So it was moon!! Argh!

annoying! at least they won’t penalise

So it was moon!! Argh!

My daughter said she kept trying to link sleep to the moon and what not. Shocking they made such a huge error and I would hope they do not penalise, but tbh how would we know.
Reply 8
i hope they take into account how stressful this all was when they mark it. how did this even happen ?
Reply 9
Original post by SoapySoapson
Hi guys, gonna sound stupid, but was the question the same as the 2022 question (sleep)? I felt like the extracts weren’t as strongly linked as they have been in previous years and they’ve never repeated the question again…I know there’s been a lot of glitches with the systems and wanted to see if anyone got a different question?

It was exactly the same for mine!
Reply 10
Original post by sfl5411
i hope they take into account how stressful this all was when they mark it. how did this even happen ?

Exactly - did they not even read through and check? Obviously they must have copied last year's paper when setting up the texts and added the new texts but forgotten to change the theme, but surely at least 1 person looked over the text beforehand to check it!?!?

What texts did you guys choose in the end? I picked a/f.
Original post by Mulefa
Exactly - did they not even read through and check? Obviously they must have copied last year's paper when setting up the texts and added the new texts but forgotten to change the theme, but surely at least 1 person looked over the text beforehand to check it!?!?

What texts did you guys choose in the end? I picked a/f.

I did b/f but I’m not feeling too confident about how it went! I felt like I was repeating similar bits of analysis for each point and am not sure how good my clarity of communication was 😬

So it was moon!! Argh!

Hi how did you contact oxford? what email address did you use?
Original post by EvaaWattss
Hi how did you contact oxford? what email address did you use?

I filled out an ‘ask a question’ contact form at this web address: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/ask
Original post by Starringmadi
This was my thought exactly! I assumed the theme was the ‘Moon’ instead of sleep, as all the extracts had that as a linking theme, and most of them had no relation to sleep.

guys i think we have to use our common sense here, it was clearly meant to be a linking theme of the moon.

Most likely they will take into account anyone who spoke about sleep instead, as well as anyone who did just the moon. I guess the safest are the many people who I'm sure did both, linking the moon and sleep. Either way, i'm sure we'll all be fine so long as the writing was still okay?

personally, I just wrote about the moon and didn't mention sleep because the texts I liked really had basically nothing to do with sleep.
Original post by meganhwrd44
guys i think we have to use our common sense here, it was clearly meant to be a linking theme of the moon.

Most likely they will take into account anyone who spoke about sleep instead, as well as anyone who did just the moon. I guess the safest are the many people who I'm sure did both, linking the moon and sleep. Either way, i'm sure we'll all be fine so long as the writing was still okay?

personally, I just wrote about the moon and didn't mention sleep because the texts I liked really had basically nothing to do with sleep.

I’ve spoken to Oxford English department and they have told me this

“Thank you for getting in touch. The error in the test paper was universal and will have impacted every candidate, unfortunately. We are currently working out how to address this with markers to ensure that no candidates are disadvantaged”

So we shall see what happens either way common sense or not an institution like Oxford should not be making mistakes like this.
This happened to me too, and ended up telling the exam invigilator about this issue. I'm so glad that this has been a universal experience! I ended up ignoring the question immediately and assumed that the theme was 'The Moon' and continued the essay as given.

I wonder if those who went ahead with the theme of sleep will be penalised for not executing a close reading? I hope everyone will be okay though.
Original post by vivienne.walsh
This happened to me too, and ended up telling the exam invigilator about this issue. I'm so glad that this has been a universal experience! I ended up ignoring the question immediately and assumed that the theme was 'The Moon' and continued the essay as given.

I wonder if those who went ahead with the theme of sleep will be penalised for not executing a close reading? I hope everyone will be okay though.

Well they have stated no student will be at a disadvantage because it’s their error. You can’t penalise students for not executing a close reading in the question they made a mistake on. How is one meant to assume there was an error? It’s all down to assumption. They could of in fact chose to keep the theme as sleep and others got it wrong by thinking it was the moon. How would you know and most people wouldn’t assume oxford would of made such a cockup like this. Who knows how they will mark this, it may have less weight this year and more emphasis put on other aspects we don’t know. Lets just hope the admissions process is done fairly.
Original post by atinkerfairy
Well they have stated no student will be at a disadvantage because it’s their error. You can’t penalise students for not executing a close reading in the question they made a mistake on. How is one meant to assume there was an error? It’s all down to assumption. They could of in fact chose to keep the theme as sleep and others got it wrong by thinking it was the moon. How would you know and most people wouldn’t assume oxford would of made such a cockup like this. Who knows how they will mark this, it may have less weight this year and more emphasis put on other aspects we don’t know. Lets just hope the admissions process is done fairly.

Oh, I agree - it certainly isn't fair that they made the mistake and I hope everyone does well!
It will be interesting to see what they say if they release a formal statement in a few days, however.
Original post by atinkerfairy

does anyone think there’s a chance they’ll have us redo it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending