The Student Room Group

How to deal with disordered eating without speaking to someone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
It won’t get worse, I’ve never got to a dangerously low weight and it usually goes in cycles
what, in your eyes, would be dangerously low?
Original post by Anonymous #2
what, in your eyes, would be dangerously low?
A bmi of under 15
Original post by Autumn223
I know thats how you feel now, but its important to get that support, you have made the first step by reaching out here but I think its important to reach out to someone who can genuinely support you through this
I’m definitely not going to get professional help, I’m more looking for strategies to just stop thinking so much about food/avoiding food and my body image
I’m definitely not going to get professional help, I’m more looking for strategies to just stop thinking so much about food/avoiding food and my body image
Hey OP that BMI really isn’t healthy. Firstly BMI is incredibly inaccurate and secondly the BMI considers under 18.5 to be underweight. I think you may need to talk to someone about this, it doesn’t have to be a trained professional, but it could be parents/carers, friends, or a partner. I know it can be scary to talk to others about things like this but it is so important to take care of your health.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hey OP that BMI really isn’t healthy. Firstly BMI is incredibly inaccurate and secondly the BMI considers under 18.5 to be underweight. I think you may need to talk to someone about this, it doesn’t have to be a trained professional, but it could be parents/carers, friends, or a trusted adult. I know it can be scary to talk to others about things like this but it is so important to take care of your health.
I am an adult lol. I can manage my own health and life

Im an adult too, but we all need support sometimes, it’s important to let those know around us know whats going on.
I really would encourage speaking to someone you feel close to about this

Doesn't sound like you're managing it well, what the junk/alcohol binging etc, not wanting to be any ruder than required but your posts scream of denial and a desire to simply have your destructive habits validated.
Im an adult too, but we all need support sometimes, it’s important to let those know around us know whats going on.
I really would encourage speaking to someone you feel close to about this
I think I’ll pass on that humiliation
Original post by StriderHort
Doesn't sound like you're managing it well, what the junk/alcohol binging etc, not wanting to be any ruder than required but your posts scream of denial and a desire to simply have your destructive habits validated.
I’m not in denial, I acknowledge that it’s unhealthy and want to find a way to cope with it. Just not a way that involves humiliating myself in front of people I know or getting professional help
I think I’ll pass on that humiliation

I understand its scary, but people who care about you won’t be there to humiliate they will be there to support you. Going through this alone is potentially one of the worst things you could do.
Im worried you aren’t seeing how serious the problem is for yourself, and I really want you to be able to get the support you need.
I’m not in denial, I acknowledge that it’s unhealthy and want to find a way to cope with it. Just not a way that involves humiliating myself in front of people I know or getting professional help

Coping involves speaking to people x

.. even if that's the way that works?

If we were all capable of diagnosing and solving our problem the world would be a very different place. Not being funny, but underweight alcoholics pass away every day thinking they still knew better, I have a good friend on this path already but sadly too far down it to stop, the health things all start to cascade and it's taken decades off his life.
I understand its scary, but people who care about you won’t be there to humiliate they will be there to support you. Going through this alone is potentially one of the worst things you could do.
Im worried you aren’t seeing how serious the problem is for yourself, and I really want you to be able to get the support you need.
I can’t imagine anyone I know would have anything useful to say. I know they care about me and aren’t out to deliberately humiliate me but my family are just trying to get by and don’t need to be worrying about stuff I should’ve grown out of years ago
I can’t imagine anyone I know would have anything useful to say. I know they care about me and aren’t out to deliberately humiliate me but my family are just trying to get by and don’t need to be worrying about stuff I should’ve grown out of years ago

I know they probably won’t be able to advise you, but its the support you need. I doubt they will see it as a problem you should have grown out of.
Health and weight is a serious issue right now globally, more and more people are becoming understanding and can check in at the very least to see how you are getting on.
Having someone know is really important.
I know they probably won’t be able to advise you, but its the support you need. I doubt they will see it as a problem you should have grown out of.
Health and weight is a serious issue right now globally, more and more people are becoming understanding and can check in at the very least to see how you are getting on.
Having someone know is really important.
My (physical) health and weight aren’t really a problem though. I’m not planning to lose any significant amount of weight, only to maintain my current weight
Just something to add to the alcohol thing, You say you drink enough to make yourself sick for days. A healthy 20 year old should be able to shake off any hangover in a day IMO, whole day sessions, parties, weird cocktails all of it. The fact it's taking you days like someone in their 40/s/50s+ should tell you something about how well your frail body is coping.
My (physical) health and weight aren’t really a problem though. I’m not planning to lose any significant amount of weight, only to maintain my current weight

I hear you, but i really do still encourage sharing what you have said on here with some people who are close to you
Just something to add to the alcohol thing, You say you drink enough to make yourself sick for days. A healthy 20 year old should be able to shake off any hangover in a day IMO, whole day sessions, parties, weird cocktails all of it. The fact it's taking you days like someone in their 40/s/50s+ should tell you something about how well your frail body is coping.
I’ve always been a small/short person and I can drink a fair amount when I really want to
I’ve always been a small/short person and I can drink a fair amount when I really want to

That doesn't really relate much to what I said tbh. If your hangovers are lasting for days at 20 you're either drinking a preposterous amount or your body isn't coping.in some way. I don't think there's a 3rd option.
That doesn't really relate much to what I said tbh. If your hangovers are lasting for days at 20 you're either drinking a preposterous amount or your body isn't coping.in some way. I don't think there's a 3rd option.
I’m not significantly underweight (5lbs under) and not planning to lose any more so my body definitely isn’t “frail” or under any significant strain

Quick Reply

Latest