The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a 4 Year degree at a Scottish University as an English student?

I understand that Scotland does 4 years but is that the same as a Masters in England? or is it equivalent to doing a Bachelors ? I’m not sure if it is worth doing an extra year if there isn’t much difference. Could someone explain this a little more about the 4 year thing. Thanks :smile:
hi, English gal and Edinburgh uni alumna here, yes a Scottish MA 4 yeear degree is equivalent to a Bachelors in England. The reason is Scottish high school and sixth form students don't do a levels, rather highers and advanced highers, so some students starting university have highers (equivalent to old AS system) and therefore the 1st year in a Scottish ma degree is supposedly easier and more chill ( though ofc depends on uni and subject!!!) For many English ppl it might not seem worth taking our another year of loans, which is understandable - my degree was 4 years because my 3rd was a year abroad and I studied languages so most degrees in this subject / degrees with year abroad are this long. Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Original post by oliviamoore14
hi, English gal and Edinburgh uni alumna here, yes a Scottish MA 4 yeear degree is equivalent to a Bachelors in England. The reason is Scottish high school and sixth form students don't do a levels, rather highers and advanced highers, so some students starting university have highers (equivalent to old AS system) and therefore the 1st year in a Scottish ma degree is supposedly easier and more chill ( though ofc depends on uni and subject!!!) For many English ppl it might not seem worth taking our another year of loans, which is understandable - my degree was 4 years because my 3rd was a year abroad and I studied languages so most degrees in this subject / degrees with year abroad are this long. Hope this helped!

Thanks so much for the reply! I’ve been thinking of apply for a term abroad or year abroad as I want to do both placement year and year abroad so some unis offer work abroad/ international internships. Perhaps it’s worth me doing this since it’s going to be 4 years :smile:
Original post by BintyMinty
Thanks so much for the reply! I’ve been thinking of apply for a term abroad or year abroad as I want to do both placement year and year abroad so some unis offer work abroad/ international internships. Perhaps it’s worth me doing this since it’s going to be 4 years :smile:

absolutely! Scottish unis like Edi offer a lot of options for things like that as well as offering a lot more varied courses, and electives in first year so you can take a course in something you never learned before!! like my friend who studied pharmcology took a module in sound design and now she DJs haha
Reply 4
Original post by oliviamoore14
absolutely! Scottish unis like Edi offer a lot of options for things like that as well as offering a lot more varied courses, and electives in first year so you can take a course in something you never learned before!! like my friend who studied pharmcology took a module in sound design and now she DJs haha

That’s amazing ! Thanks so much for your help Olivia 💕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending