The Student Room Group

What uni should i go?

Please can you give me some advice for uni choices?

I am currently studying Business(A) Art(B) and Geography(C) and i got ABC for my predicted grades. + A* in EPQ.

My uni choices(honestly my hope) Glasgow, Lancaster,Leceister,Cardiff, oxford brookes(insurance)

Applying for marketing and business management.

..my worries is that if my uni choices looks SAFE. Obviously i do wanna go to high unis but do you guys think this is a bit too much positiveness in terms of UCAS application?

+I also have leadership oppourtunties(heas of houses,1st team netball,winning a school music competiton) dunno if this is gonna help..but

Plsss help me😭
Reply 1
I don't want to give you false hope but if you have grade 6 maths/English GCSE call admissions at University of Bristol and ask if they consider the EPQ additional qualification as additional ucas points or not and explain your position and ask if worth applying? If they do it would bump your UCAS points up which could get you over the line, so worth a phone call. The standard entry is AAA on their Business Management courses (which include marketing) but they will take ABB but the key thing here is your A is actually in the subject which is really strong. ABC + EPQ would that bump you to ABB is the burning question?
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/business-and-management/bsc-business-and-management/

EPQ Grade A* should be worth 28 UCAS bumping your predicted UCAS points to 148. You know you are clearly a capable student here.

So frustrating that offers are based on predictions, you could actually turn out ABB in the end which is ironic. Also, you cant do much about it now but clearly you like business and your good at it, with an A prediction. You would probably been better off doing a BTEC extended diploma in Business with 100% of your efforts just on business. You would be faced with significantly better choices now.

Nothing wrong with your selections if its where you want to go. Other considerations could be Bristol UWE and Keele both offering decent degree courses and both respected university's but i would remain confident, give it a go, if you get rejected you can apply via clearing on your actual results and its possible the outcome better if your results are better than the predictions. Much of what you want will really depend on their attitude to the EPQ if they value it or not.

Good luck to you,
Original post by jinny9535
Please can you give me some advice for uni choices?

I am currently studying Business(A) Art(B) and Geography(C) and i got ABC for my predicted grades. + A* in EPQ.

My uni choices(honestly my hope) Glasgow, Lancaster,Leceister,Cardiff, oxford brookes(insurance)

Applying for marketing and business management.

..my worries is that if my uni choices looks SAFE. Obviously i do wanna go to high unis but do you guys think this is a bit too much positiveness in terms of UCAS application?

+I also have leadership oppourtunties(heas of houses,1st team netball,winning a school music competiton) dunno if this is gonna help..but

Plsss help me😭

Are any of your marketing choices accredited? Do any offer a placement year? These things are more influential on your employability than your ideas about “prestige”
Original post by LsDad

So frustrating that offers are based on predictions, you could actually turn out ABB in the end . . .

Not sure if I am misunderstanding, but offers are not based on predicted grades, they are based on (i) the standard offer (ii) and tweaks if you have something extra (like EPQ) and the Uni really likes you.

Some Unis do have a much higher offer rate than others (Lancaster, Stirling?) - its possibly worth knowing which ones they are to increase your probability of success

FWIW a lot of Unis ignore EPQ these days, especially Scottish Unis - if you are doing an EPQ its definitely worth seeking out the Unis that like them

Be worth exploring who went in to clearing with Marketing and Bus Mgt last year - I cant image its massively competitive

Don't get your comment about "safe". You will want to go to a Uni that you enjoy being at, that gives you a decent education and that opens door to a good job afterwards
Original post by PQ

Are any of your marketing choices accredited? Do any offer a placement year? These things are more influential on your employability than your ideas about “prestige”

Hi thanks for your advice:smile:
Actually I'm a international student who is seeking to get job outside of UK so I can't really ignore the rankings and things as those are things they would look at primarily and what they would expect from me.

I just wanted to know if my grades would be capable with it.
Original post by LsDad
I don't want to give you false hope but if you have grade 6 maths/English GCSE call admissions at University of Bristol and ask if they consider the EPQ additional qualification as additional ucas points or not and explain your position and ask if worth applying? If they do it would bump your UCAS points up which could get you over the line, so worth a phone call. The standard entry is AAA on their Business Management courses (which include marketing) but they will take ABB but the key thing here is your A is actually in the subject which is really strong. ABC + EPQ would that bump you to ABB is the burning question?
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/business-and-management/bsc-business-and-management/

EPQ Grade A* should be worth 28 UCAS bumping your predicted UCAS points to 148. You know you are clearly a capable student here.

So frustrating that offers are based on predictions, you could actually turn out ABB in the end which is ironic. Also, you cant do much about it now but clearly you like business and your good at it, with an A prediction. You would probably been better off doing a BTEC extended diploma in Business with 100% of your efforts just on business. You would be faced with significantly better choices now.

Nothing wrong with your selections if its where you want to go. Other considerations could be Bristol UWE and Keele both offering decent degree courses and both respected university's but i would remain confident, give it a go, if you get rejected you can apply via clearing on your actual results and its possible the outcome better if your results are better than the predictions. Much of what you want will really depend on their attitude to the EPQ if they value it or not.

Good luck to you,

Thankyou so much!!
I will try my best :>
Hi thanks for your advice:smile:
Actually I'm a international student who is seeking to get job outside of UK so I can't really ignore the rankings and things as those are things they would look at primarily and what they would expect from me.

I just wanted to know if my grades would be capable with it.

Have you spoken to the employers that you hope to work for to find out how they select employees?

Experience is likely to be more important than the ranking of a university 3-4 years before you graduated.
Original post by PQ

Have you spoken to the employers that you hope to work for to find out how they select employees?

Experience is likely to be more important than the ranking of a university 3-4 years before you graduated.

Yeh I had few advices from agencies which is the fact they hire people with well known unis in my home country(which is a bit sad). I know that quality of education are important and I'm not completely ignoring those stuffs....but it's just how world it is.
Yeh I had few advices from agencies which is the fact they hire people with well known unis in my home country(which is a bit sad). I know that quality of education are important and I'm not completely ignoring those stuffs....but it's just how world it is.

what do you mean by agencies?
Original post by PQ

what do you mean by agencies?

Basically company that helps you with admission, school life, guardian ship etc.
(Majority of students gets help from these people)

As range of students with different backgrounds gets help especially on unis they got really nice data on uni choices that would likely to determine your future.
Basically company that helps you with admission, school life, guardian ship etc.
(Majority of students gets help from these people)

As range of students with different backgrounds gets help especially on unis they got really nice data on uni choices that would likely to determine your future.

University recruitment agencies have a motivation to push you towards specific universities.

Talk to EMPLOYERS not agents. Agents are liars
Original post by PQ

University recruitment agencies have a motivation to push you towards specific universities.

Talk to EMPLOYERS not agents. Agents are liars

Um...i think this is just different situation.
Anyways thankyou for your advice
Um...i think this is just different situation.
Anyways thankyou for your advice

I don’t think it is.

agents are paid by universities for recruiting students for them. Agents work to maximise their income not in the best interests of applicants.

I also think if the agents you’ve spoken to were any good then you wouldn’t be asking for more advice on tsr
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending