The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

International student needs help (Durham, Edinburgh or Bristol?)

Hi, I’m a 19 year old girl who’s got offers for accounting and finance at Durham, Edinburgh and Bristol (I am still waiting for results at Warwick). I’ve done loads of research on all the universities, but I’m having trouble deciding! Edinburgh is perceived as the most prestigious uni in my country, so that’s a “+”, but I’ve also heard that they start university at 17 in Scotland, so I’m scared I’ll be older than the rest. I love the idea of the college system at Durham, but I feel like the city can become boring after a couple of years.
Feel free to help me out with pros and cons🙏🏼 I appreciate all the input I can get!❤️
Original post by malu0508
Hi, I’m a 19 year old girl who’s got offers for accounting and finance at Durham, Edinburgh and Bristol (I am still waiting for results at Warwick). I’ve done loads of research on all the universities, but I’m having trouble deciding! Edinburgh is perceived as the most prestigious uni in my country, so that’s a “+”, but I’ve also heard that they start university at 17 in Scotland, so I’m scared I’ll be older than the rest. I love the idea of the college system at Durham, but I feel like the city can become boring after a couple of years.
Feel free to help me out with pros and cons🙏🏼 I appreciate all the input I can get!❤️

Hi. I’ve got unconditional offers for Accounting and Finance from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. Not firmed my choice but it will be between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Most Scottish students will be 18 or just turning 18 but Scottish Universities take on lots of International and English students as they rely on their funding. Edinburgh Uni is made up of about 1/3 each of Scottish, RUK and international students.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous5767
Hi. I’ve got unconditional offers for Accounting and Finance from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde. Not firmed my choice but it will be between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Most Scottish students will be 18 or just turning 18 but Scottish Universities take on lots of International and English students as they rely on their funding. Edinburgh Uni is made up of about 1/3 each of Scottish, RUK and international students.

Oooh Okey, thanks!!🫶🏼
Reply 3
For this course, the entry standards are low at Durham and even lower at Bristol. Edinburgh also has the best research quality of the 3 for this subject. Because of all these factors together, Edinburgh should definitely be the best of those 3 for this course. The Scottish education system will also give more scope to study other subjects too within your time there. Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Regarding Warwick, its research quality for this subject is highest of all 4. Its entry standards for this are higher than all 4, as shown on, or at least claimed by, their respective websites). (league tables will claim Scottish universities are higher for entry standards but because Scottish students regularly take more Scottish Highers than English students take A-Levels, it skews the results).

Overall, as universities in general, the research quality of Warwick and Edinburgh is identical but a considerably higher percentage of staff at Edinburgh (76%) conduct high quality research than at Warwick (59%). As Warwick is only slightly better than Edinburgh for Accounting and Finance, and as I dislike Warwick's anti-male, anti-UK students, policies, I would personally rule out Warwick. Warwick's campus and general city aren't particularly attractive either.

Glasgow is just as good or better for this subject than Edinburgh by the way.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending