The Student Room Group

What material should I do? (PAG)

Hi, I've got to do a presentation on a material for a yr 12 physics pag but I'm stuck on what I should do

this is the criteria we need to base our presentation on:

-how does the internal structure of a material give rise to a specific property of the material
-how does this specific property then make the material suitable for a particular application

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :smile:
these are some off the top of my head:
-graphene
-concrete (maybe specifically the concrete that repairs itself, I'm forgetting what it's called exactly)
-lithium(in batteries)
-steel
-glass
-clay/some sort of polymer??
hope this gives you ideas!
Reply 2
Thank you so much! will research into these :smile:
Original post by ferdi295
Hi, I've got to do a presentation on a material for a yr 12 physics pag but I'm stuck on what I should do
this is the criteria we need to base our presentation on:
-how does the internal structure of a material give rise to a specific property of the material
-how does this specific property then make the material suitable for a particular application
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I'm doing the same presentation literally in 10hrs and I'm up doing it last minute - love procrastination.
I'm doing Rubber because I'm not in the mood to care about what I do and wanted to do a lazy and easy one. However, my mates are doing some more interesting ones: Aerogel, Titanium, Silicon, among others. I think the idea is that the material you choose is what also sorta what you're interested in - not necessarily obviously, but why research a material you don't care about when you can research a material in your area of interest.

For example my mate doing the Titanium one is into Biomedical engineering and she's talking about the uses of Titanium and how its properties are good for that.
The one doing Silicon is into computer science and she's relating the silicon properties to components inside a computer and how they function and the usual.

So if you want to go lazy like me, then go; Rubber, Graphene, Glass, etc. If you have something you're interested and you actually want to learn then go look for a material in your area of interest, if you have one yet.

Honestly, I wouldn't say do a simple one, it's much more fun learning about materials you barely even know about, like aerogel or alloys.

Sorry for the super long message. I'm up with snacks, a monster and a headache. Good luck in your presentation mate, hope it goes well for you

:cyber::work::hmmmm2:
Original post by ferdi295
Thank you so much! will research into these :smile:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest