The Student Room Group

Uni has made me so depressed- should I just drop out?

I'm almost contemplating dropping out

I'm at my dream uni, doing a course I love. But the sheer workload and memorisation of content has been killing me. I started getting 50% or lower in my Essays at the start of the year. At least it was a pass.

I just had exams now tho and I'm certain I failed. I don't even know if my uni allows resits and I don't want to ask them until it's confirmed I failed. I really don't want to have to redo the year.

My physique that I once had is gone. My hairs been falling out like crazy. I have insomnia. I don't dabble in my hobbies anymore, or go out with friends. All that is on my mind is uni, uni, uni. I never thought this would happen to me but I think I've burnt out. All I can think about is the results. I can't dissociate from uni as much as I try. I don't know if at this point I should just drop out due to my mental health

I was diagnosed with anxiety 4 years ago (15 at the time.) I couldn't really get medication for it due to my age. Overtime I learnt to manage it better, especially during A level. It's definitely gotten worse since starting uni, so I'm considering going into the GP and getting medication for it.

I've tried therapy, support groups. None of that has worked. Anyone with ongoing Anxiety / and or failed in Exams but got back up again- advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your problems. There is always a solution to such issues. I would advise you to see your GP sooner rather than later.

I have advised some student friends of mine in the past who had similar issues to ask their doctors for certain types of medication, and tbh, while people do have concerns about side effects and other problems, the right medication in the correct dose at the right time for a short spell can work wonders.

From what you say you are going through esp. about your physique, the insomnia and loss of interest in hobbies/socializing, etc. you might well have an early stage anxiety/depression type of condition as you say, and if so, it responds very well to treatment, in fact surprisingly so!

SO, TO REITERATE, SEEK MEDICAL HELP STRAIGHT AWAY!

Best wishes!
M [former medic]
Reply 2
Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes I went to the GP today and started an SSRI course. Also let my uni know about it. Hopefully they’ll still take it into account post exams?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes I went to the GP today and started an SSRI course. Also let my uni know about it. Hopefully they’ll still take it into account post exams?

Find out which lecturer in your dept deals with extenuating circumstances and speak to him/her in person - try to get extra time in your imminent exams based on your health issues. Even if you get 20 min extra in a 2 hour exam, it will help - remember my motto that I keep quoting to my students "Mark, mark, mark" - every mark counts and therefore every second counts!!

In case your doc did not get time to mention it, do give your med 2-3 weeks to work, as some of these meds take a short while to improve the catecholamine levels in your brain i.e. don't expect a change overnight and give up on the med!

Best of luck in any resits!
M
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 4
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Find out which lecturer in your dept deals with extenuating circumstances and speak to him/her in person - try to get extra time in your imminent exams based on your health issues. Even if you get 20 min extra in a 2 hour exam, it will help - remember my motto that I keep quoting to my students "Mark, mark, mark" - every mark counts and therefore every second counts!!
In case your doc did not get time to mention it, do give your med 2-3 weeks to work, as some of these meds take a short while to improve the catecholamine levels in your brain i.e. don't expect a change overnight and give up on the med!
Best of luck in any resits!
M

Thank you for your reply. Yes my doc told me everything about SSRIs

Due to bank holidays, my uni isn't replying to my emails until Tuesday. But the deadline to submit mitigating circumstances form is Monday :/

They do allow written exam resits, but no where on their website have I seen they allow practical exam resits. I asked a 2nd year student and he said he vaguely remembers their being practical resits but he's not certain.

The thing is, if there are resits and I fail then I can do the resits. And its all good.

But if there aren't resits for normal students, then I'll have to submit a Mitigating Circumstances form for resits. If I apply for MC, whether I pass or not, I will have to redo the exams. So I don't know whether to apply or not. And I can't get info out of my uni until Tuesday (after the deadline)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for your reply. Yes my doc told me everything about SSRIs
Due to bank holidays, my uni isn't replying to my emails until Tuesday. But the deadline to submit mitigating circumstances form is Monday :/
They do allow written exam resits, but no where on their website have I seen they allow practical exam resits. I asked a 2nd year student and he said he vaguely remembers their being practical resits but he's not certain.
The thing is, if there are resits and I fail then I can do the resits. And its all good.
But if there aren't resits for normal students, then I'll have to submit a Mitigating Circumstances form for resits. If I apply for MC, whether I pass or not, I will have to redo the exams. So I don't know whether to apply or not. And I can't get info out of my uni until Tuesday (after the deadline)

Hello again,

I would think [if you can access the form] that if you fill it in and email it to the correct email before Monday, then you will be able to prove and they will see that it was submitted in time. I should hope that it should then be ok even if they reply after the deadline, cos you would have met the submission deadline and would be able to prove so.

If you are not able to get the form before Monday, then email them anyway explaining all your circumstances in detail and stating why you could not do it the "usual" way by filling the form.

In my opinion, the people involved will take your case on its merits and with empathy.

Quick Reply

Latest