The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people hate Emos?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
strawberrywine_
The stereotypical "emo" seeks to be called such, and thus tries to hard. That's why I don't like them or anybody who tries to adhere to some kind of subculture.

so trying to live within the confines of a subculture is a bad thing?
Reply 21

THIS IS WHY WE HATE EMOS
MichaelG

Yes, I don't see why anybody would want to restrict themselves to a "subculture".
Reply 23
MichaelG

if you're older than 16 yeah.

it tells everyone you don't have a sense of your own identity and so are experimenting with ready-made ones - I could never respect a person like that, that's just not how adults are expected to be.
Reply 24
|>|Imagine|<|
Non Emo with poor self image and low confidence because he's/she's actually different (which is good) to the norm but doesn't have the spine to be oneself says "I want to be different, I don't want to be like everyone else"
Emo says "Hey, everyone is unique, join us"
Emos say "Yes, Join us - be yourself for once in your life"
*Non emo has regressed to emo*
"Hey! I feel so unique, I look and act just like you guys."
"ZOMG LETS HATE ALL THE HATERS"

REPEAT

Got it, hole in one.
They think they're being different/unique and so they become one of them and look like clones!
Reply 25
Because and also because
Reply 26
Yuffie

THIS IS WHY WE HATE EMOS

OMG YESS!!! I SAW THAT A FEW YEARS BACK!!! what a douche!!

though id still plough her till next december :smile:
Ilora-Danon
I really couldn't care less if someone I know is 'emo'. The only thing that bugs me about it, is the fact that they all look the bloody same and have no individuality. I'm mostly described by others as a 'goth' because I only wear black, but I still look like an individual because of the choices I make. Emo's just look like each other.

But then, as hypocritical as it may sound, there are some well fit emo boys around Birmingham and I wouldn't say no tbh!

I agree to all of this. :yep:

Ive been called emo, crusty or more commonly 'dirty hippy' (the joys of having dreadlocks..)... people just generally hate each other and use any excuse to shout it out.
cos they're skinny and look like girls
Reply 29
strawberrywine_
Yes, I don't see why anybody would want to restrict themselves to a "subculture".

but what happens if they want to, if they actually feel at home within it?
MichaelG

At home with the emos? I'd find that a little sad.

Why can't everybody just be themselves :hmmmm2:
Reply 31
Erik.
if you're older than 16 yeah.

it tells everyone you don't have a sense of your own identity and so are experimenting with ready-made ones - I could never respect a person like that, that's just not how adults are expected to be.

what is actually wrong with that though, if someone wants to experiment or explore something different to what they're used to?

Maybe if everyone simply failed to adhere to any kind of 'ready-made' culture, social society would effectively collapse...nothing would stay the same, it would surely be anarchy?.. i wonder.. :s-smilie:
Reply 32
strawberrywine_
At home with the emos? I'd find that a little sad.

Why can't everybody just be themselves :hmmmm2:

because some people hate themselves; they feel better if they escape to something different. its perfectly natural!
Reply 33
MichaelG
what is actually wrong with that though, if someone wants to experiment or explore something different to what they're used to?

Maybe if everyone simply failed to adhere to any kind of 'ready-made' culture, social society would effectively collapse...nothing would stay the same, it would surely be anarchy?.. i wonder.. :s-smilie:

it's just not very grown up.

of course people imbibe common culture and share interests but they don't have to express it through every aspect of their image and personality, that's kiddy's stuff.
Reply 34
Erik.
it's just not very grown up.

of course people imbibe common culture and share interests but they don't have to express it through every aspect of their image and personality, that's kiddy's stuff.

Okay so it may well be 'childish'...but how is that wrong, morally or socially? :s-smilie:
MichaelG

what's wrong with just feeling at home with yourself? why do you need to subscribe to something already set out for you?

Adults just don't (or shouldn't) need to do this, feeling like they should dress a certain way or behave in a certain way. Most 'emos' I know do it deliberately. 'oh I will buy these shoes because they are so emo', 'oh I need some more thick patterned shoelaces because they are emo', 'do you like my new emo fringe'. They 'want' things because they are part of the subculture, not because they think they will suit them or because they even like them particularly.

Hence the overbearing number of incredibly fat people wearing skinny jeans and cascading out over the top of them.
Emo is just a stereotype, I wouldn't care if somebody I know wore 'emo clothes' or listened to 'emo music'. It's just a taste :dontknow:

You know what society is like though, especially internet communities. They love picking on the so-called minorities :p:
Reply 37
I don't hate emo's per say. I just hate their culture. It just seems so bleak. Oh and the guys in it seem to wear really skinny jeans/clothes to the point where I'm pretty sure they're the same size as a girl. That scares me.
I also find the fact that non conformist culture being actually very conformative quite funny/sad. Why not just follow what they want to do instead of some culture they have some affinity with.
MichaelG
because some people hate themselves; they feel better if they escape to something different. its perfectly natural!

Emos don't hate themselves. THAT is the problem. They think they hate themselves and their lives, but they don't. They think they are depressed, or anorexic, because they skipped breakfast this morning, or because they cut themselves so that everyone would see how depressed they are.

If anything, emos love themselves. They love publicising their 'hatred' of themselves, they love saying 'you just hate me because you don't understand me!!'
MichaelG

It has nothing to do with hating themselves, you don't turn "emo" because you hate yourself, by which I mean "emos" that adhere to the stereotypical ideals, like the skinny jeans, the eyeliner, the **** music, everything that they think will make them an "emo", whoare rather sad in all honesty. I don&#8217;t really have a problem with emos, or the scene, but nevertheless, they are not "emo" as "new romantic" was originally intended to be. It has become a fad, a trend, a fashion statement and in so doing it has laid itself to rest, since these are exactly what "emo" was originally formed to counter. I just have a problem with people attempting to change themselves for the most current scene.

Can't believe I replied so seriously to an emo thread. :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending