The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people hate Emos?

I find at school and in the public and on this site that when use the word "emo" they are either making fun of them or trying to insult someone.

A lot of people say ''die emos'' and a lot of other stuff to them when they haven't provoked anyone and they don't act like jerks.
Yes, some of them might be anti-social and the media depicts them as depressed and weird but is that a reason to hate someone just because their different?
These people to me seem like their being persecuted and made fun of by people because they firstly, look and act different and secondly because they are easy targets to throw abuse at because your not going to expect an emo to stab you like you would if you insulted a chav (but people still insult them also).

So do any of you want to defend yourselves because the way I see it people enjoy making fun of them just to look coll because they feel good about themselves bringing another group of people down feeling like your better than them in the process.

Scroll to see replies

iGurpreet
I find at school and in the public and on this site that when use the word "emo" they are either making fun of them or trying to insult someone.

A lot of people say ''die emos'' and a lot of other stuff to them when they haven't provoked anyone and they don't act like jerks.
Yes, some of them might be anti-social and the media depicts them as depressed and weird but is that a reason to hate someone just because their different?
These people to me seem like their being persecuted and made fun of by people because they firstly, look and act different and secondly because they are easy targets to throw abuse at because your not going to expect an emo to stab you like you would if you insulted a chav (but people still insult them also).

So do any of you want to defend yourselves because the way I see it people enjoy making fun of them just to look coll because they feel good about themselves bringing another group of people down feeling like your better than them in the process.

I'm no emo, but I totally agree with what you're saying. often people are like "You're emo" just based on someone's music taste/dress sense...it's more of a fashion trend really.
Reply 2
Emo's are just happy to be depressed and it's that kind of mentality that I hate. We should be grateful to be alive because it can so easily be taken away from us.
The stereotypical "emo" seeks to be called such, and thus tries to hard. That's why I don't like them or anybody who tries to adhere to some kind of subculture.
Reply 4
iGurpreet

I'm neutral when it comes to this, but I have a question. It seems to be that you're referring to the chavs in a stereotypical fashion in your post where you're allegedly arguing against showing prejudice against a group of people.
I really couldn't care less if someone I know is 'emo'. The only thing that bugs me about it, is the fact that they all look the bloody same and have no individuality. I'm mostly described by others as a 'goth' because I only wear black, but I still look like an individual because of the choices I make. Emo's just look like each other.

But then, as hypocritical as it may sound, there are some well fit emo boys around Birmingham and I wouldn't say no tbh!
Non Emo with poor self image and low confidence because he's/she's actually different (which is good) to the norm but doesn't have the spine to be oneself says "I want to be different, I don't want to be like everyone else"
Emo says "Hey, everyone is unique, join us"
Emos say "Yes, Join us - be yourself for once in your life"
*Non emo has regressed to emo*
"Hey! I feel so unique, I look and act just like you guys."
"ZOMG LETS HATE ALL THE HATERS"

REPEAT
you get branded so easy in this society, any one who is remotley diffrent from the norm, is made a target, emo's are from my experience nice people, which makes them easy targets
Ilora-Danon

But then, as hypocritical as it may sound, there are some well fit emo boys around Birmingham and I wouldn't say no tbh!

There's seriously not. Skin tight jeans + BMTH t-shirt + nike dunks doesn't equal fit :no:
Reply 9
hate is OTT but I would definitely have less respect for someone who was visibly a member of a 'subculture' - that is for schoolkids. I respect grown-ups.

but then 'hating' them is even more immature so I don't know what's worse...
Reply 10
i dont mind emos, hey i went through my own phase of being emo for like a week
but with the ones ive seen/know.. not all are bad.. some just moan TOOO much.. they complain and always seen the negative in everything. Plus theres sometimes an essence of arrogance in them.. not all of them.. just the ones ive seen

but overall emos are quite nice people.. as are goths/chavs/scene kids and those who say 'oh im soo different i dont care what others think'

I <3 stereotypes
Hate emos?

Wouldn't that imply people care about em first?
strawberrywine_
There's seriously not. Skin tight jeans + BMTH t-shirt + nike dunks doesn't equal fit :no:
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I hate their clothing, but it's the face that usually gets me. I've seen some very beautiful emo-esque guys before.
The 'emos' I know ARE jerks. A lot of them use this whole 'don't persecute me!!! you're only prejudiced!' thing as something to hide behind so they can act like dicks. It's a childish way to behave, this whole attention-seeking look at me I'm so emotionally wounded thing, and by a certain age they should have grown out of crying so people look at them more.

I also feel that a lot of them 'cut' because other people do it, or because they think it's cool, and that makes me think bad things about them. It trivialises a very serious problem that some people go through - the same with the whole faux-depression thing. You're not depressed, you're a fricking whiny teenager, you have no clue what depression is. Emos seem to have every eating and mental disorder in the book. 'OMG i skipped lunch, i must be anorexiccc!!!'
Reply 14
Emo is just a fashion trend. An annoying one at that. Maybe I've just been unlucky (or lucky?) but all the ones I have known did all sorts of emo-related activites for the attention/their friends did and now admit to it. So I'm skeptical of those who claim to be "so emo, so depressed, so in love with MCR...".
ice_dragoness274
I'm no emo, but I totally agree with what you're saying. often people are like "You're emo" just based on someone's music taste/dress sense...it's more of a fashion trend really.

wow, a very attractive emo! :eek:
Reply 16
Because they style themselves like depressed Final Fantasy characters
Reply 17
iGurpreet

Emoism I think has manifested itself due to western culture. In it's most stereotypical form, an 'Emo' is a middle class kid living in a pretty nice suburb, a nice family, a good life. But it's this perpetuating 'mediocrity' in their lives which causes this to emerge. Without any relative scale of emotional experiences, how can you classify an event? So... a bad breakup, relative to their nice suburban lifestyle may lead them into some 'depressive spiral'.

I have nothing against them, but when a kid is slashing themselves over a girl they like, and theres people who are watching their family get blown up landmines, facing disease and famine every day, I just think it's a little selfish. Also, it's the most conforming way to non-conform :biggrin:

I'm referring to the acting out of sterotypical emoism here, I mean theres plenty of people who enjoy the fashion and music, hell I whip out skinny jeans once in a while! and to be persecuted on preferences of music and dress sense is a bit idiotic really.
Ilora-Danon
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I hate their clothing, but it's the face that usually gets me. I've seen some very beautiful emo-esque guys before.

Ok, if you guys in obscene amounts of eyeliner then fair enough.
Reply 19
ohai

Latest

Trending

Trending